Dara Happan philosophy

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 22:38:15 +1200

S Francois:

>Well, I'm not sure the average member of the mob of a large Dara Happan city
>is more prone to this than the average orlanthi. Numerically speaking Yelm
>is a fringe cult, restricted to nobility, and thus I won't say that his
>worshippers are representative of the average Dara Happan !

I wasn't going to get into this as correcting P. Larsen on this point would have yielded little light on the main topic. Firstly Dara Happans are really the Nobles and their retainers. Since the early days of the Lunar Empire, the commoners have come from ethnic groups, other than Dara Happan.

As for the issue of who worships Yelm, I've seen numerous flip-flops on this and so any definite answer would wait until the Yelm cult writeup comes out.

My current understanding in light of the scheme in Thunder Rebels is that Nobles worship Yelm Imperator (an aspect of Yelm in HW terms) while the Tenths (retainers and supporters) worship less potent Yelm aspects in addition to any subcult worshipped. Thus male Dara Happans can said to be Yelmites except for those that worship other gods (Buserian, Lokarnos, Polaris etc).

>If we want to compare speculative thinking, the godi and some
>thanes are a better match than "the average orlanthi".

Perhaps. But few Dara Happans actually bother with philosophy and so expounding on this at length would have been slightly futile.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #531