Re: Lightfore In Orlanthi Myth

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 02:25:17 +0100 (BST)

John Hughes:
> I have been rightly castigated (privately - my accuser is kind) for
> misreading Andre's question on Glorantha emphemerons, and repeating details
> of Nick's when in fact the new improved second one was the software in
> point. I plead guilty, heartily apologise, and ask that my name be added to
> those seeking this new wonder. In future, I will try and scan the Digest
> *after* morning caffeine, not during it.

In the light of the above thoroughgoing "kissing Yelm's pimply backside" station of the LBQ, I feel oblidged to be as Just and Magnanimous as possible. (Don't worry, I feel a Metcalfian reply coming up next, so the pyschic residue won't build up for too long. Being Boatrightianly tipsy is a help too, obviously.)

> Lightfore in Orlanthi Mythos
>
> Alex:
>
> >Lokarnos is a planet, not a constellation
>
> Hey looky dat... it moves. You're right.

I can only apologise for the intrusion of this ugly fact into an otherwise beautiful theory.

> >Greg has gregged Nick (and himself) on some fairly
> basic celestial facts since those distant days.
>
> I begin to see why nobody uses celestial lore. I shall retain the 'poetry of
> the moment', as you put it, and try and be vague about the exact night and
> occurrence.

To be fair to Greg, the trouble here is that it's hard to be "creatively fuzzy" about something as manifestly observable as the sky, and he has been hounded ton death by various shameless reductionists (such as myself) on the topic. Hopefully it'll soon converge to something Greg can sign off on, and which everyone can see (for the low, low price of $1500), fairly soon.

> >If you do mean Lokarnos, the planet, I'd be interested to know if there's
> >soemthing significant happening with him on that date... (And if not,
> >I'd be interested in which constellation was really meant.)
>
> I'm looking for a celestial event on Big O's high holy day, and the
> uniqueness of said event comes from the star spears (comets, daimons) that
> issue forth, which I can attach to almost anything. Lokarnos skidding by
> Lightfore isn't that special of itself, and as you point out, may not have
> happened on that night anyway.

It varies year on year, as far as Lokarnos is concerned. (I realize this is a uselessly vague statement, but I'm afraid I don't at present know _which_ year it's in which position.)

With regard to the actual constellations: I believe that on Orlanth's high holy day Lightfore rises near The Scorpion (and passes close by before it sets again), and passes through either end of the Star Dragon in the Middle Sky.

> As the sun wanders far below horizon, goaded by
> armies of darkness, some wandering friend of the Storm Tribe gives steady
> old Rigsdal a hand. Perhaps the planet is a hero from the Greater Darkness
> (Hengall, the Second Son, the Star Heart!) or a stay-behind deity such as
> Vinga. Or perhaps some aspect of Elmal himself - the justice spear? It
> sounds like (barring a future gregging) that I presently have carte blanche
> with the Orlanthi name as long as I come up with a good myth. For the
> present, Lightfore=Hengall sounds good to me.

I imagine the striking while the iron is squishy is indeed a fairly sound policy, on such matters.