Balumbasta and Lodril

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 20:34:33 +1200

Chris Lemens:

>Me> Balumbasta is not Lodril as they have different
> > runes (rather than the dot, Balumbasta has an
> > inverted V which he shares with Shargash). Also
> > Balumbasta is a great spirit whereas Lodril is
> > a god. Ladaral and Lodril are the same AFAIK.

>Hmm. Pre-HW sources clearly use the names interchangeably.

Likewise with Yelm being worshipped among the Pentans, Yelmalio among the Aldryami or Gorgorma among the Kralori. Sometimes the names meant the same deities were being worshipped, sometimes they just meant analogous deities are worshipped.

>Missing Lands revised the received wisdom that the fiery
>earth/spear god of the south was called Lodril.

The received wisdom was never that the fiery god was _called_ Lodril, the received wisdom was that the fire god of the south was Lodril, although almost certainly known by another name.

>Drastic Prax used both names.

Drastic: Prax used Baba Ulodra, Baba Ubabi or Baba Umalti, and only noted that the god had many similarities to the common Genertelan god Lodril and did not give it the same spells as Lodril's cult in White Wolf.

>Although this
>implies that they are the same, we did not have the
>stark division between animism and theism then that is
>a feature of Glorantha now.

The division between animism and theism makes little difference to the question of whether Balumbasta or Lodril are the same or not. It only means they are not the same at the worshipable level (i.e. through sacrifice or through ecstasy).

But since both Balumbasta and Lodril are big guys on their respective otherworlds (being "Giant" and "Great God" respectively), have similar natures, and each having two brothers (one being the sun and the other being the sky), one doesn't have to be a God Learner to wonder if they are the same entity at some transcendent level. However this would be at a higher level than knowing a secret (which is the level at which Urox and Storm Bull are united).