Lodril et al

From: Joerg Baumgartner <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:44:14 +0200

>Joerg Baumgartner:
>>>Monster Man/Deshkorgos

>Peter Metcalfe:
>>Monster Man is Deshkorgos.

Lodril _is_ Monster Man.

Mark:
>Definitely - Deshkorgos is MM, a servant of Lodril. He's not a nice chap
>but he is an accepted part of the Solar order.

Lodril the rebel.

IMO one of the results of the myth of Lodril wrestling with the Underworld deity, fighting each other to extinction, and then joining to survive. The Lodril-Balumbasta problem (i.e. deity-spirit) could be solved along the same line.

At the same time, I like the idea that (some version of) Lodril now carries part of the essence of Krarsht within himself (the Footprint myth).

Chris Lemens re: Lodril-Balumbasta

>I think what we really have here is simply a Gregging.
> At one point, the answer was that they were the same
>entity. Missing Lands revised the received wisdom
>that the fiery earth/spear god of the south was called
>Lodril. Drastic Prax used both names. Although this
>implies that they are the same, we did not have the
>stark division between animism and theism then that is
>a feature of Glorantha now. This prevents us from
>using the admirable fudge that Drastic Prax wisely
>used. Retro-fitting this into HW requires some
>thought though, beyond simply asserting that
>Balumbasta and Lodril are different based on runes
>defined by cultures that have never been in contact.
>We have to decide whether Balumbasta is Lodril and, if
>so, how one entity can be both spirit and god.

>Reluctantly, I think that they are different entities.
> My main reson is that I cannot see anyway to equate a
>god with a spirit. Several arguments are frequently
>used in this situation and I don't like any of them.

We do have the myth about Lodril wrestling with his opposite number, and integrating it. I think it is hard to pinpoint who he wrestled, but one possibility is that deity Lodril and Great Spirit known in the south as Balumbasta wrestled, and emerged as one entity.

>One argument is that someone engages in misapplied
>worship. I don't think this works because both
>entities are quite powerful.

>Another argument is that they are a defiant entity,
>like Storm Bull. I don't like this argument, because
>the label seems to indicate that the entity, out of
>its own power, decides to defy the rules.

Not, if the myth about joining with his opponent is used.

>Would every god with a
>remote underworld connection be able to corss the
>line? Is there a Ty Kora Tek spirit out there
>somewhere? Maybe, but I'd not rush to embrace that
>position.

The trolls do give reverance to some Ty Kora Tek/Asrelia/Esrola entity, mother of the Only Old One formerly chained by (someone like) Lodril. Too bad we know nothing about Serdodrosa (the Orlanthi Earth Witch).