crashing together or splitting apart?

From: mdawson <mdawson_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:19:07 -0400

On Wednesday, September 19, 2001, at 02:45 PM, Greg wrote: (examples of Big Questions coming up in HW.)
> Which Otherworld was the origin of the others?
> [snip]

> I like the Digest because it is where various philosophies and realities
> are being aired as tools for the upcoming Hero Wars. I am pretty confident
> that most of the ideas broached herein have some group in Glorantha that
> has proved it to be true (at least to themselves). I imagine the campaign
> to be an epic where your little Hero Group, armed with such knowledge,
> launches it into the cosmos (for better or worse).

Well, speaking of "various philosophies", it really seems odd to think of the world devolving from an occasion where various originally separate realms (sorcerous, spirit, theist) _collide_.

Me, I like the idea that Glorantha as it is results from them _fracturing_.

For example, if the Green Age ends when (among other things) entities realize they are different from each other, why do things happen the other way at a higher level?

Why not "as above, so below?"

Didn't Everything come from the Original One Thing?

When I look at the microcosm of Pavis, for example, I see people trying to recreate Paradise by combining different things into a homogeneous singularity. Why not the same for the planes?

At the same time, I actually LIKE the idea that most philosophers think of the emergence of the various planes as one of several alien magics intruding into their mythic paradise.

This is, in fact, one of the Biggest Secrets in my campaign, one already influencing the Heroes who are years away from this realization.

"Master, are all things true?"           |  Mike Dawson
"Yes, all things are true."                  | mdawson_at_mac.com
"Even false things?"                          |
http://herowars.onestop.net/
"Even false things are true."
"How can that be?"
"Don't ask me man, I didn't do it!" ---Principia Discordia