Re: Lodril et al

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:29:45 +0100 (BST)

Jörg Baumgartner:
> We do have the myth about Lodril wrestling with his opposite
> number, and integrating it. I think it is hard to pinpoint who he wrestled,
> but one possibility is that deity Lodril and Great Spirit known in the south
> as Balumbasta wrestled, and emerged as one entity.

I 'spose. I rather prefer an explanation "in the style of" the account of "defiant entities" -- much as a revile the HW rules for same. That is, each can be seen as partaking of/being a face upon/as being an aspect of a higher cosmic power, however you want to define it.

However in a way this is just shoving the problem around. It's not necessarily entirely straightforward to render said _cosmic powers_ as a neat, fixed, finite set of discrete entities, as witnessed by the fact that each Gloranthan cultural account of these, and indeed each successive "game rule construct" version differs to some degree.