Re: Divine identities

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:35:14 +0100 (BST)

Joerg Baumgartner:
> Divine identities make me uneasy. I marked Peter's reply re: Solf or
> Calyz as Lodril equivalents for a reply but Real World distractions took
> their toll.

"Equivalence" I can handle; it admits at least wriggle-room about what degree of effective similarity is actually being meant here. I'm happy enough to talk about who has the same runes, or who occupies a "similar" place in the otherside topography (or is that topology? hard to say in this context). But if everything is reductible to crisp "identities", then there's no room in Glorantha for (true, aka magically effective) beliefs such as the Hindu ambiguity about the multiplicity of gods, or the mystery of the Trinity, or the imperfections of the identifications between different RW pantheons. (i.e., to wheel out Nick Brooke's old example, supposedly in this account of religion, either Jupiter is not Zeus, or he _is_ a werewolf...)

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #539