More divine identities

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 20:02:07 +1200

Alex Ferguson:

>Me> Although Tolat has no known connections, that is largely a
> > function of our ignorance about Tolat's myths rather than
> > evidence that Tolat has no connections.

>Absense of evidence is traditionally met with doubt, not with
>certainty that the evidence can and will be produced at some
>subsequent point.

Except that we have the data point that Tolat and Shargash are the same god and which will be used in the generation of the appropriate myth. Hence my belief in certainty.

> > Great God: Lodril.
> > Volcano Aspect: ViSauruDaran.
> > Common Man Aspect: Turos
> > Rebel Aspect: Monster Man.

>But Turos, for example, is not recognised as or worshipped as an
>aspect of Lodril.

  1. How do you know? b) I've already admitted in the post that you are replying to that Turos is "probably different from him" and that the scheme was a _possibility_ *if* they are related.

>(We could also reopen the
>original bunfight as to whether Lodril is a "Greater God" in the
>RQ3 sense, aka whether this is a core rune/high power of Glorantha...)

Look back at GD v08 #512 and you'll see that I have been proposing this (with Lodril as an unrecognized-by-the- God-Learner Great God of "Male Earth").

> > I haven't seen a myth where Ernalda shares the Lower Heavens

>The "proof" to the Tarsh earth priestesses that their goddess and
>[insert appropriate lunar high power or manifestation here] are one
>must have involved some such rationalisation or demonstration.

Nope. That involved Ernalda as being identified as being She Who Waits of the Seven Mothers (as She Who Waits was a pre-Harmast title for her).

Look at the Yelmalio cult writeup now up at www.glorantha.com and the Elmal cult writeup in Storm Tribe and point out the "extremely close similarity of religious practice". As somebody else pointed out, the Elmali were introducing Dara Happan practices in their Elmali worship.