Divine Identities

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 19:42:06 +1200

Alex Ferguson:

> > It is unambiguously recognized (read the intro to the Entekosiad)

>You're referring to the following "unambiguous" statements about their
>identity, upon which I based my original contention?

>"Thus Entekos and Dendara seem to be, or have been, connected somehow
>with each other."

i.e. their connection is a recognized fact and this connection would not exist if they were not the same goddess.

>and:
>
>"Unhelpful was the Paradox Solution."?

Whereupon a description follows that the Dara Happan Priestesses could participate fully in the rites of the Pelandan Entekos whereas the Pelandan Priestess could participate fully in the rites of one Pelandan cult.

You've also left out another statement on the possible origins of the Entekos/Dendara connection in which all suggestions are predicated on the unity of Entekos/Dendara.

> > How so? I've already admitted that it requires the existence
> > of a "fused aspect", something not covered in HW.

>Well, that'd be an example of the sort of problem it'd cause, yep.

Why is this a "problem"?

> > [Orlanth/Shargash are d]ifferent deities, easily. The locations
> > of Orlanth on the God plane are radically different from Shargash's
> > locations.

>I don't think any "test" of this sort can be at all conclusive.
>The other side isn't referred to as "the subjective realm" for
>nothing, after all.

Read the box in Thunder Rebels page 134, which describes what can be meaningfully varied on the Godplane (i.e. relationships between mundane and magical landmarks). I do not believe the Godplane is capable of subjective interpretation to the extent that Orlanth looks like Shargash and so it is a conclusive test IMO.

>My point is not that I think the two are "identical",
>but that they share several mythic and magical attributes that would,
>to the Dara Happan mind at least, justify labelling the two as
>"equivalent".

But they are not the same god in Dara Happan mythology so it would be a somewhat addled Dara Happan who considered the two gods the same.

> > [Tolat/Shargash are the s]ame deity, even their runes are the same.

>Well, I certainly don't think that there's some theistic Pauli
>exclusion principle at work, which says that if two entities have
>the same runes, they must be absolutely identical...

I do not believe that they are "absolutely identical". What I believe is that cults to the same god will vary in some places quite markedly (i.e. Somash and Yelm being both cults to the same Great God of Fire).

As for the Theistic Pauli Principle, the godplane can be characterized as erasing individual differences. That is why the ancestors are so faceless and the Gods so big yet require human worship. Because of this, I have little trouble in assuming that there is a basic array of Great Gods on which human pantheons are based.

For the case of sorcery and animism, it's not known whether there is an equivalent principle and so I've been confining my statements to gods.

>(Remind me,
>though, what's the reference for Tolat's runic association?)

Glorantha: Intro p206.

> > In any case,
> > the lack of certainty about Oria is solely caused by published
> > evidence to date - it is not a sign that gloranthans are
> > confused about whether Oria is the same goddess as Ernalda
> > or not.

>The key question isn't one of confusion on the part of Gloranthans,
>but of disagreement between them. And magically effective differences
>of opinion, at that.

There's nothing indicating any sign of disagreement about whether Oria is Ernalda or not. We just simply don't have any published information to state with certainty whether such a dispute exists or not.

> > [Elmal and Yelmalio are d]ifferent deities. Yelmalio and Elmal have
> > different locations on the godplane and different runes.

>This is remarkable, given that of all the candidates mentioned, they
>seem by far the most "similar", in any intuitive mythic or magical
>sense.

I fail to see how they are similar "in any intuitive mythic or magical sense" since Yelmalio has no aspects, has different affinities from Elmal and has a different mythology (e.g. he didn't defect to the Storm Tribe). The sole possibility might be the Hill of Gold quest but Elmal doesn't go there in his writeup.