Re: Divine identities

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 19:14:20 +0000

Alex re: Peter's
>> Great God:  Lodril.
>> Volcano Aspect:  ViSauruDaran.
>> Common Man Aspect:  Turos
>> Rebel Aspect:  Monster Man.

> But Turos, for example, is not recognised as or worshipped as an
> aspect of Lodril.

I agree - if anything, Turos is more of the Great God than DHan Lodril because he epitomizes an entire culture and not just one social (or celestial) strata.

> He may well be a manifestation of the same power
> (indeed he clearly is, surely), but that's not to say he's a
> manifestation of _Lodril_: rather, Lodril might be argued to be
> the primary manifestation of that power.

I guess Lodril gets the honours because of the God Learners' familiarity with Ladaral of Sog City fame and a stunning similarity of names. They cannot have had much exposure to DHan Lodril, really...

> (We could also reopen the
> original bunfight as to whether Lodril is a "Greater God" in the
> RQ3 sense, aka whether this is a core rune/high power of Glorantha...)

Since we cannot agree upon the number or membership of those high powers, mostly a moot point. The Entekosiad names Rashorana, Turos and Uleria in the same breath, indicating that there are seven, later nine High Powers (Daxdarius and Natha joining). Dara Happa knows ten Glorantay. The Theyalan Celestial Court entities have been classified by the God Learners as 8 powers, 5 elements, various forms etc, plus numerous old powers like Grower and Maker (see KoS).