From Japanese GTA Questions

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 10:16:20 +0900

Dear Greg:
I am sorry I cannot have reported you since I can return to Japan safely. Below is report to English Glorantha Digesters, Linguistic Barrier is still serious for Japanese Gloranthans.

I have written a letter to Harald Smith about New Lolon Gospel in California.
I hope I can receive a positive answer from him..

Why I choose Nizami?

He was very famous North Persian (Today, his homeland is that of Azerbaijani) Poet and Storyteller, and he chose many Ancient and Feudal Persian Sources as his subject. I think you can relatively easily can enter Fascinating Persian Tales by his writings. Love Story of Majnun is too famous and even those doesn't know Nizami knows this "Crazy Lover". Khosrue 2nd Parviz and Shireen is the Symbol of Last Glory, Decadence and Power of Sassanian Empire. (His Connection and Struggle against Byzantine Empire is also very fascinating Historical Source.) Tale of Bahram the Black Prince is another Famous Iranian Hero Story. Sikandar (Iskandal) 's story is the Story of Legendary Alexander the Great of Macedonia from Islamic Point of View.

Nizami
http://www.culture.az:8101/nizami/ind_e_ni.htm

Azerbaijan Culture: Nizami
http://www.culture.az:8101/literature/lit_old.htm

Laila and Majnun
http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/love-in-the-arts/layla.html

Khosrue and Shireen
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/1190nizami1.html

Tale of Black Prince
http://www.fqa.com/romana/romanaworx/nizami.html

Picture for Nizami
http://members.tripod.com/~khorasan/TajikPersonalities/Bihzad.htm

Sikandar Nama
http://www.complete-review.com/reviews/nizami/sikandar.htm

I wrote down them. But please correct if I made some mistake…

First Meeting 2001/09/07

All question was made by Tadaaki Kakegawa aka Malion yelmalio_at_za2.so-net.ne.jp

1
About the “Godlearnish” Sectional Phase Map in 1990 and HW Plan God Plane Map Compatibility :

GS smiled and said, "Yes, it's available. but I "developed" (You can say "gregged", and he will admit such status) much more about this topic." And he showed plain map of Hero Wars God Plane. Red Moon realm situated Middle. And Orlanth's Storm Realm positioned to "Northwest" of the Map. And Darkness Realm exists in "South". Void (I don't recall his using term) Realm is situated to East. He said "Compatible". So you should try to think about Sectional Phase Map of Old version, and Plain Map of New Version harmonize each other with Godlearnish or dragonewtish Sense.

2
How long should we wait to Sartar Rising?

I got Publication Schedule from him. But I'm sorry, I don't read it yet.

(Late Report in Sep 10)
<Greg give me a current Schedule Sheet... September: The Complete Griselda by Oliver Dickenson. ISS4502
(I saw fine cover of this book, so I think soon you can get it. But I almost
have not read about Griselda...)

October: SR! Adventures for Orlanthi Barbarians. ISS1401 November: SR! Orlanth is Dead!
ISS1402 But I should confess you, he doesn't decide ISDNNumber of 2 books of SR! So he want to publish, but some barriors prevent him to do so. Next Two maybe precede SR!...

December: Hero's Book
ISS1002 January: A Promise of Thunder
ISS4503 February: Hero Wars: 2nd Edition
ISS1001 But I cannot promise he can keep these schedule. If you want to make him do so, please more donate to Issaries as a GTA member! (as if an Issaries Spokesman...) He is not very wealthy as far as I know.>

3
Which have ancient country hold the closest similarity to LE? Persia? Roman Empire? Byzantine? Or Sumerian?

He said, "Persia". and shifted to "Sassanoid Persia". I said Dara Happa has great similarity to Ancient China. He reluctantly denied and he said he don' t know well about ancient china. I cannot believe this portion of his address.

4
What will be changed in HW 2nd Edition?

He said, "Animist Magic is changed, Sorcery is changed, and Mysticism is changed" and finally he admitted. "Misapplied Worship Rule is changed. It's very unpopular and everyone refused."

5
Is it right that Argrath have Kallyr assassinated?

He said, "Awful Idea, no." and he showed Schedule Process Table of Hero Wars. In one stage, Kallyr was killed, and resurrected by PCs in 1625 (?I don't remember precisely the date.) And she was eventually killed by Harrek the Berserk in 1630 as in KOS, (I don't say he said who urged him to do so.) And this turn, she doesn't revive.

6
What the rating of literates in more Civilised Area like Loskalm, Kralorela, LE?

He sez, if Dragon Pass is 2 %, More civilised Area Loskalm, Kralorela and Lunar (most of them are Ontorite and Buseri) is 3-5%. About Tradetalk Writing, see HeroWars Rule Book First Chapter(?)

7
Is there Default Setup to Annstad of Dunstop, Lover of JarEel?

He sez, Dunstop is city of Tarsh... He said he doesn't know more about it. He hinted he intentionally didn't decide who is Lover of JarEel. And maybe you can become lover of her...

I heard about more about Jareel, as some of you know, JarEel killed Argenteus and expected to Better will follow. But he will not return. (Or many returns.) So Jareel want to try correct her mistake...

8
Do you know about Yoristina of Nochet (in KOS) was Beautiful White Female Duck in some Japanese Comic?

Both I and he didn't know about her. So I and Greg refered KOS and found the section. I said some of Japanese believe she was Beautiful Female Duck, he laughed.

These are written as Report to Japanese GTA.2001 / 09 /07

Mail to Greg Stafford from Terra Incognita 2001 /09 /09

Dear Greg:

 I greatly enjoyed our first conversation, (I don't know how did you feel like to me, I think I seemed a little bit trance-like state, eh?) I experienced too much change of varied feelings in that short period.
(Surprisingly, bad feeling was almost not coming to me though I usually
become nervous in such status.)

 Anyway, you generously said you will try to answer my personal questions, I will try to explain about my questions and try to add some commentaries.

 1 Non-Fiction and Fiction
 I asked about this part of autobiography of you, (I can recall longer version of similar autobiography appeared in the Questline.) Perhaps, I make a rude question, but I always wonders about self-dilemma which creative people like you conceives in the process of working, of course neither I know when you enjoyed writing and when you forced yourself to write as self-discipline, but your comment about Sound-like-Dilemma "Fiction Writer don't like Fiction." roused some part of my interest.  Without mercantile reason for ancients don't need copyright property, some of good writers (like Professor Tolkien) showed similar attitude to contemporary workings as you, I think subjectivity lead people about it, because old arts often decide the feeling of people, and we cannot say which is good or bad.

 I can explain it by some of Jungian Terms, but I want to know how much intentionally you choose Originality instead of self-interest? I felt strong will in your soft attitude. (I felt it when you denied the influence of Gwandoring Saga to your work.) I wondered why as one of mere dilettante species. You wrote "no more I have books to read. "In that same autobiography. I think the meaning of the word is "I already read enough to write."

 2 Gregged
 Naturally, human always changes in his own lifespan, and I think some writers made great effort to insist their consistency (or conceal their inconsistency.) You say you like Arkat for some reason, I like him too for his mercuric flexible (amoral) attitude. But consistency is required for the symmetrism of arts, do you have experience to concern about this philosophical (or psychological?) matter deeply? And I guess Arkat sometimes experienced great dilemma between his changing status and his (obscure) unchangeable self as some Greek legendary Heroes (and Kallyr Starbrow?)

 I guess you happily accepted your crown "Shaman-Arkati-Trickster" about it, but if not so, please accept my apologise for this great rudeness....

 3 Prince Snodal, your first work
I confess you I almost possess your writing about Glorantha which I could get in Japan. In a sense, you walked a long way with this Fantasy World. But if I can, how much original fragments of Saga of Prince Snodal survive? I know you have great fondness to Scandinavian Tales and Feudal European Tales. (I haven't known about Harold Hardrada until recently...) I found about the some fragments of first Glorantha Condition in Wyrm's Footprint. But it's not enough for knowing original condition and connection between Malkionism and Seshnelan History, Whitebear and Redmoon and Nick Brooke's Works.

 4 Many Heroes...who is most similar historical model of them? (This question can be ignored...)
Arkat, Talor, Dormal, Anaxial, Belintar, Red Emperor, HonEel, etc...

 5 Woman-Hating Classic Glorantha...
 Frankly speaking, I don't like Chained Ernalda Idea...now I make effort to neutral statement as if I don't have any personal feeling to offend any feminist association. "In Tarsh, Ernalda was accepted as "She Who Waits" in Lunar philosophy, but why in Sartar, She will be chained as her brutal Husband?"
I recall nostargically (oh, I have not lived so long...) about misogynic Orlanth Myth of "Wooing of Orlanth". (Who is Vinga?) in Wyrm's Footprint.

I consider about percentage of Feminine Gloranthans...

And how many of Sartari can call "All Fire Tribe is family of Nysalor, so Elmal and Yelmalio are both Chaos! We never revere Fire and Star!" before Orthodoxy?

These are indeed silly questions after Mr. Tadaaki Kakegawa's self-styled "silly" Questions...

Sincerely:

(Some of Questions are not for replying, just for asking. (Roger Zelazny))

Terra Incognita
inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp

P.S.
After I had firstly reported the conversation to you, many questions from Japanese GTA arrived.
Maybe they were little embarrassed because I could not use Japanese in these reports.

Second Meeting 2001/09/10

Below is New Questions from Japanese RQ & HW Fans.

I experienced Great Magic...
After introduction to Stephen Martin, I drank a cup of coffee he made.... I guess they secretly slipped a Stygian-medicine to my drink... After a moment, I awoke from Deep Sleep and found they perfectly replaced my organs and muscles to that of Trolls...

"Now you are our comrade of Arkati...You will be invited to Secret of Heroplane...." now true personality revealed, Greg and Stephen grinned with their Uz-Fangish Mouth...

Above are all Jokes.

But I greatly changed after Last Conversation, because Greg taught me many secrets which NEVER should be revealed to public for Importance...

After I reported him about our conversation, he taught me about Whitemoon, Footprint of Larnste, Elemental Speech. During thinking about your questions.
And Greg and I talked about connection of God Plane and Hero Plane, and Arkat's HQ.

He showed me many unpublished materials, Arts of Peloria, Eastern Mythology Secret, 1st Age & 2nd Age Slontos.
I found many "I doubted long the exisence" books in his bookshelve. Jonat's Saga, Belintar's Book, New Lolon Gospel, Harmast Saga, Secrets of the Rune....

I can never return to former self.

By the way,
I wrote Translated Version of Questions, and Greg Stafford himself directly wrote this answer before my observation, please watch out.

>From Umemura
Draconia_at_rr.iij4u.or.jp

1

It seems that New White Moonies are split by many sects that have only limited connections to each other as Fiscal Anarchist. Then what the True Nature of "Keepers of the White Moon"? They don't look like mere False Saintly Swindlers.

(Note: I wrote to him he should ask to Peter Metcalph rather than GS about
Glorantha: Intro.)

(After conversation, I found Secret of White Moonies is too important to
reveal clumisically spoil One HW Lunar Scenario.... called "White Heart Story".....)

From Ebisawa, same Circle of Umemura

2

What was Humakt doing while Orlanth was still performing in the Lightbringer 's Quest? (Note: I can write to him about "Sword of Life" in Drastic Resolution.and Tales #5 Humakt Mythology mentioned about Jotimam, Void of Middle World after Spike and before Magasta..)

GS:
Humakt was performing his own mythology. During the Great Darkness Humakt worked to separate the living from the dead. He worked to make th Underworld the place where the Dead go to. He therefore was in the Underworld, his own world, when Orlanth was there to apologize to Yelm and create Arachne's Web.

3
I heard a rumor that Humakt himself insists he cut down Orlanth so Orlanth could journey to the Underworld. Is it true? (Note: You wrote recently about Heortling "Other" Gods.)

GS:
Yes it is.

Humakt = Death.

Orlanth going into the Under world = Death.

Now, the question is: "How was that Death delivered?"

Orlanth (and the other Lightbringersl plus other deities like Rausa) all say that Orlanth volunteered to do it.

Humakt says, "I killed my Brother."

Which is true?

Well, if Humakt = Death AND Orlanth gong into the Under world = Death then of course

Humakt = Orlanth going into the Underworld.

HOW did it happen: IT DEPENDS ENTIRELY ON WHICH ONE IS YOUR GOD.

From "Hwarlini" Mato

hwarini_at_nifty.com

4

This is very lowbrow question.In earlier material, First Inspiration of Moonson was Hwarlin Dalthippa. But later! It changed to Goddess Glamour! Why?? Line is Yara Aranis..HonEel..JarEel. Hwarlin is far more appropriate than Glamour! (Note: Please read his name before his writing.)

GS:
I do not recall that I ever said this. (Me, too...(Zeb)) For me Glamour has ALWAYS been the First Inspiration. The information did not come from me.

>From Nayuta

5

I want to know more about Political Structure, Industries and Main Religions
(especially for farmers) of Vanch for setting Campaigns. What should I read?
(Note: I also seek New Lolon Gospels of Harald Smith.)

GS:
Harald Smith has the best information aout this. I don't have it here. We are working to make it accessible. I will ask him how to make it available.
(NB: HS is the expert of Saird (Imther, Vanch, etc...). New Lolon Gospel #1
& #2 is his work. I want them too, but currently maybe not available.)

From Koryu (In Japanese, his surname means "Ancient Dragon")

6

Is there Writing System of Tradetalk? (Latest Question to you, but maybe he want to ask to you directly.)

GS:
Storm Tribe p 113.

Tallya is essentially the written version of Tradetalk.

People can certainly make their own phonetic translation sof Tradetalk,a nd I am sure that they have. Thus there is likely to be Tradetalk written in local languages. But Tally is a cult secret.

(I asked to GS about Hendreik Larnsti Society and Sartar.)
Larnste = a "High Power" or a mystical concept that is not worshipped. Nonetheless, some holy places are still know where sacrifices are made to Larnste to obtain a special power form that place. But it has no cult, no initiates, etc.

The Hendrik cult is an exception. Hendrik was a special case, not an ordinary cult. He is special because his cult is so unique. His connections to the Larnste cult come from the fact Larnste's critical events occurred here. It is one of those "Special cases" I mentioned.

There are AT LEAST two Void Holes in the Glorantha, Magasta's Pool and the Syphon River Pit. Both of them work with the same core story of the watter reversing its flow to "fill the void." This whos the "universal nature" of this story: that water seems to flow into an empty place. (He showed Large Map of Heortland to me, I can find literally Great Large Footprintstamp over Syphon River...)

7

Is there Writing System of Stormspeech? What is the saturation level of it and Sartari?

GS:
Stormspeech = the "language of the air gods."

NO written form of Stormspeech exists. HOWEVER, the Lhankor Mhy script of the "highest level" is used to write down things in the language of the gods.

Their multiple scripts include one that is "common," and that is the one called Storm Script. It is C'ommon" because it is the one that LM priests will allow other people to learn, and it is thus the most common one among the Orlanthi. This common script is also used (at times) to record the sacred words to speak in a ritual and thus might be used for Storm Speech. However, it does only an approximate job of transliterating the actual Storm Speech. The real speec must be spoken. Thus if you don't know the Stormspeech words you might not be able to recognize them written down. It would be like reading kanji words that were written in English.

LM most often NEVER allow others in their culture to learn to read and write.

(BTW, what is Stormspeech, Solarspeech, Earthspeech, Seaspeech,
Diamondspeech? What's the reason d'etre? In current Glorantha.)

Each of the "tribes" of gods has a natural sound of its own. The water tribe is the sounds of water, the ocean and also the silence of the depths. These sounds all have meaning, and the meaning is the language of the gods. Water gods have Sea Speech. But they are languages of the gods, not scripts.

This is my Question:
Does DH and Teshnos gods thus speak the same language? Ultimately, yes. However, the ultimate vocabulary is accessible only in the ultimate rites of the god, and to get to those Ultimate Rites we have to use the local language. So we speak to the Fire Gods in the DH version of the Fire Sp[eech first, and eventually when we hear ONLY the ultimate sounds of Fire we will be hearing/using the same language as the gods in Teshnos.

8

Are there yelmalions in Esrolia?

GS:
Yes, a few.

Below are from Malion, Tadaaki Kakegawa again.

9

Are you interested in Japanese Comiclyzation (making into Cartoon) for Glorantha?

(NB: He is the same person who asked about "Female White Beautiful Duck"
Yoristina..that is Japanese Comic)

GS:
I would love to see it.

Have you seen the French cartoon about the duck?

10

In "The Travel of Biturian Varosh", there is a scene someone performed Heroquest in Mundane World as RQ 2nd Version. But in HW, there is only Otherside HQ. Is there a plan to change (reform) it in 2nd Edition HW Rule?

GS:
Yes, this is possible. I am working on a little article about Heroquesting right now that will address this aspect of Heroquesting.

11

Do you have a plan to publish Harmast's Saga? (Note: And Arkat Saga?)

GS:
Yes, when I have finished it. It is currently available in its unfinished form on the Hero GTA site. Most of the material I have written already is not going to change in the novels. I mostly need to fill in some of the gaps to make it finished.

12

How much it finished on the writing of "Glorantha Encyclopedia" listed in Publishing Schedule?

GS:
The Encyclopedia is something that will never be finsiehd, probably. But I would like to collect the right portions of my wroks to make this book. Large parts of the Enclyclopedia are available to GTA members online now.
(Frankly speaking, I found a WOP book similar title writing in GS
Bookshelf...)

13

Is it the opinion right that Balazarian Yelmalionism is misapplied Animistic Worship?

GS:
This is not how I interpret the current worship of Yelmalio.I have expressed various opinions that mentioned I'd once have made this be Yelmalio worshipped using animist practices, a form of misapplied worship. I don't plan to make it such in the published materials because it is an exception to the rules that I don't want to have to codify right now.

14

You mentioned that LE is much similar to Sassanoid Empire, but refering to Unspoken Word #1,Tarsh Culture is much similar to Roman culture. Can I analyze that Sairdite Culture is similar to Romans, and so whole system of LE Political Structure and Culture is Persian-like Style? (That is the speculation of recent answer to him..)

GS:
I can not control how other people see the Empire and choose toportray it in their own publications. The Roman Empire certainly has many characteristics that are smiliar to the Lunar Empire. However, ffrom MY perspective the Middle East is MUCH more appropriate. For starters, the Lunars do not have the methodology of standardization that seems so pervasive of the Romans. Certainly the empire has organization, but it is a hodge podge of collected parts, not a nice top-down political arrangement.

Note to other army: the LE has no such unity as the Romans had, they do not use the legion either.

15

Do you have a plan to visit Japan?

GS:
I have been invited to Japan for the release of the Japanses language version of Hero Wars in November.

These are all from recorded for Japanese Mailing List and Terra Incognita himself.
Glorantha-jp_at_list.imasy.or.jp
If you want to know about this mailing list, please ask to GTA Hero Murase. yelm_at_glorantha.to

Report to Japanese GTA members
2001/09/13: (After Attack of New York)

>From Zebraface:

I'm safe, at least for now.
I once show an idea to Glorantha Digesters EWF is similar to USA...most of them (IMO Majority is English Linguistic Group.) denied my idea. What do you Japaneses think about it...? Old Day Traditionalists....(Sigh)

To Mr. Malion:
Thank you for your good translation,
 and for tolerating some of my "slips" of the fingers.

To Mr. Hwarini "MATO":
Thank you for your tolerance to some of my "slips" of the fingers as Malion, My fault of mispelling the "Hwarin" is perfectly derived from myself. If you know more about change of Hwarin Dalthippa, I recommend directly to ask Writers by mail without inaccuracy of my English.

I'm now just little bit nervous...it's natural...

God may bless Greg Stafford.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #544