Re: Heler's People

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 20:46:30 +0000

Julian Lord

> Peter Larsen :

>>         I really doubt if a single culture is going to have more than a few
>> great gods -- the Heortlings have Orlanth and Ernalda, Elmal for some
>> tribes (and maybe Heler, although the extermination of his people may leave
>> him out).

> Well, Heler's people weren't completely wiped out IMO.

I agree. IMO they form the basic stock for the Pelaskites and possibly other coastal Manirians - after all Heler was a water deity.

Which leaves the origin of the Caladralanders to be found in the Vingkotling age...

> The Harandings of Maniria

The Harandings and their kin are Durevings IMO. If they were Helerings they'd have a thing about sheep, not pigs.

> and some of the Umathelans are actually Helerings AFAIK,

In case of the Umathelans, that's a possibility, although the Slontoli proper were kin of the Harandings, too. I imagine the Helerings to have stuck to the coastlines and lowland rivers.

> not that
> this is explicitely mentioned anywhere. There are I believe a few other
> scattered groups, or at least there can be such groups IYG.

So we can look for scattered remnants of the Helerings e.g. on Alatan?