Re: Heler's People

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 18:59:19 +0200

Joerg :

> The Harandings and their kin are Durevings IMO. If they were Helerings
> they'd have a thing about sheep, not pigs.

If they were true Helerings, they'd have a thing about sheep, pigs, lionesses, stags, women, Nandani, elves, dogs, ... ... ;-)

Another name for Heler is Hara, and it's from Greg that the homeland of the Helerings is Maniria.

> > and some of the Umathelans are actually Helerings AFAIK,
>
> In case of the Umathelans, that's a possibility, although the Slontoli
> proper were kin of the Harandings, too. I imagine the Helerings to have
> stuck to the coastlines and lowland rivers.

The Helerings generally dwell in the mountains (among the clouds), except in Maniria (not the case in every mythic period though).

I suppose this tells us something about the climate in Maniria : like Ireland, Wales, ... : low-flying rainclouds, fog, mist, wetness, and an overall grey misery. But warmer perhaps ?

Yeah, the Umathelan Helerings are a special case.

The prehistoric Helerings were probably blueskins BTW.

> > not that
> > this is explicitely mentioned anywhere. There are I believe a few other
> > scattered groups, or at least there can be such groups IYG.
>
> So we can look for scattered remnants of the Helerings e.g. on Alatan?

Why not, but I was thinking of inland enclaves up in various mountain ranges. And Voriof's people in NW Dragon Pass.

Julian Lord