RE: The Glorantha Digest V8 #552

From: Mittmann, Mike <Mike_Mittmann_at_affymetrix.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:01:04 -0700

>>> There is also the issue of who thralls breed with, since an Orlanthi
>>> all thralls will be female.
>>
>>Really?
>
>Think about it, the two ways of obtaining thralls are capturing
>them in raids and taking in people who are unable to protect
>themselves. Now there aren't many Orlanthi men who will be captured
>in raids, most will fight back and either die or escape.

Note: captured in raids has too cases,
Case 1) clan A raids clan B, and clan A takes some people, and carries/drives/runs them
back 20 miles to their steading.
Case 2) Clan A raids clan B, and a few people from clan A's raiding party get caught in
unfamiliar terrain, and get brought back 1 mile to the chief's steading.

Case 2 seems much more likely to me.

Orlanthi men don't generally fight against other Orlanthi if the odds of winning
are zero, that's what Humackti are for.

So I would argue that more men are taken in raids, but are normally kept for shorter times. The big risk in raiding isn't being killed, it's being caught and enthralled until you are ransomed, or can escape. (or even worse, while you are out raiding, your tula is raided, and they get more cows than you came back with.)