Re: Mrs Pavis

From: Bo Rosén <bo.rosen_at_home.se>
Date: 28 Sep 2001 11:59:00 +0200

fre 2001-09-28 klockan 05.29 skrev Ian Thomson:

> This is a good example of why I got motivated to ask Greg tonnes of
> questions about Pavis and start producing the P&BR Companion Zine - lots
> of fascinating unanswered questions.

Please keep pestering him, I've always loved Pavis and it's great to be back there.

Stephen Martin
> >> 6. Her mother is unknown and unknowable. Pavis did a lot of
> >> experimentational heroquesting in the Green Age, we know this, and it is
> >> very possible that her mother was from the Green Age, and so is one of
> >> the "faceless entities" of mythology. (She could even have been a
> >> heroquester from Gloranthan history, but would still be unknown
> >> and unknowable.)
>
> >That I do like, at least the unknown part.
> Yes, me too. I've long imagined that Pavis tried to emulate his father's
> relationship with a Green Age related being.

Rereading Stephen's comment above, the last bit about her possibly being a Hero Quester from Gloranthan history got me thinking. For some obscure Green Newage reason Pavis and Mrs Pavis-to-be go on a trip to the GA where part of their quest involves marrying.(It's a good bet she was an earth priestess, perhaps from the Paps.) I don't think the marriage is the main reason for the quest but it reenacts something, perhaps Genert marrying the Land, not that I know if he ever did anything like that (it seems doubtful). The most likely reason for the quest would probably be something involving the creation of a local green age in Pavis. It is this ritual that must be renewed each year or Bad Things will happen to the City.

> Ooh, Lunars in the Green Age - like a bull in a china shop.

Lots of fun, no?

> They're so smart I reckon they would even think they knew what they were
> doing. Could have all sorts of unpleasant and unexpected feedback doing
> something like that. Hmm, have I just worked out why the marriage
> ceremony fails, I wonder... ?

They are butting in on the ceremony with the intent of marrying off their girl to Pavis, but have little idea what the ceremony is *really* about.
Could the ceremony both fail and the girl be forced into another role than the one the Lunars intended?

>> I've got some more speculations on the Cult of Pavis lined up for the next

> P&BR Companion zine. (This will be out anytime between December-
> February I hope, and hope sooner rather than later in that period.)

You know, that's too long :-)

> I have to call them speculations cos altho they are based on stuff Greg and
> I have discussed, I doubt Greg will have time to review them (but I'll give it a
> shot). This includes some clarification on identities, and some specific

If you could get him to review the stuff, it would be an acceptable delay.

> Heroes of Pavis, but nothing on Mrs Pavis (tho I might well add something
> in now that speculation is rife).

If something worthwhile comes out of this, I'm sure there will be more P&BR companions.

Cheers,

        Bo