Re: Silly Slavers

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 19:02:34 +0100 (BST)

robert darvall:
> Chaotic taint of that nature is going to show. In the case of your Uroxi
> I should imagine that if he had raped to the extent he claimed he'd be
> part of the Urain.

'scuse me, but at what point did I say he "claimed" to have raped to _any_ extent? Please respond to what I wrote, not a scenario reconstructed to better suit your mythic determistic premise. The whole point of my question was one of _avoiding_ implication of rape, if one starts to consort with thralls.

> The impression you gave was that your character was routinely enslaving
> women from other clans.

The phrase "thrall-taking" is the one you're looking for. If you think keeping thralls is an unOrlanthi custom, blame the foo-el who put it into the clan questionaire, not me.

> It certainly can act as a justification for any measures your enemies
> wish to take.

If Orlanthi clan life were modelled as a game of "Junta", then "Feud excuse" would come up in every hand. _Any_ sort of raiding is a potential basis for lawsuit or reprisals. Granted taking captives with no intention of ransoming them is a fairly obnoxious practice, but then again, burning steads and slaughtering half-trained fyrdmen isn't much fun either if you're on the recieving end.

> Given that much of your question revolved around what
> others would think I should think becoming known as the clan that
> routinely takes slaves might possibly enter the equation.

No, the entire point of the question is not how the clan is seen for its thrall-taking custom, it's how sexual relations with thralls is regarded, primarily by the clan itself.

> Yes, when the possibilities are exhausted being a thrall beats starving
> & your kids will be free not dead.

I notice you can spell "thrall" correctly outside of straw-mannery about how bad "slavery" is...

> >That sounds _deeply_ Ungenerous and un-Orlanthi.
>
> As KoDP advisors so often note these people are not kin so we owe them
> nothing, generosity is a sign of greatness but not at the expense of
> your own.

Ah, you mean when taking in outsiders; not very common, I don't think. Yes, it's the mythic basis of the practice in the clan-gen, but that's in fairly exceptional circumstances. (Oops, universe just broke, again...)