Re: Odayla.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 21:46:59 +0100 (BST)

Peter Metcalfe:
> Odayla as the Bear is not great because Bears are not a
> cosmic force. In the Lego blocks of the Cosmos, there
> is no primal rune marked Bear. Thus there cannot be
> a Great Bear God. No matter how much the Sylilans exalt
> him to the skies, he is not going to become Great.

I didn't _say_ "Odayla as the Bear", I'm talking about Odalya as the cultural god of the Sylilans. For the Sylilans, he's quite evidently more than that. I'm no Sylila maven, I won't attempt to describe their religion in any detail, I'm just going by "folk canon" here. What really bugs me about the above, however, is how shamelessly top-down it is. We don't have to know thing one about the Sylilans to make statements about their gods, we can deduce it all from cosmic first principles. I'm sorry, but for me Glorantha is a little more than a Lego set.

(For those troubled by the cosmic implication, the "real answer" is of course is that Odalya is "related to", or even part-identified with, Orlanth.)