Elamle

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 11:01:07 +1200

Jerome Blondel:

> >>Elamle-ata gives no magic, for she has disappeared forever and everyone
> >>knows she will never come back again (2).

> >I don't think this follows. People can still disappear and be called upon
> >for magic/miracles/aid. Jesus is the most obvious example in the RW.
>
>Jesus sort of ascended to heaven/godhood, so he didn't
>really disappear the way I meant. I think Elamle-ata
>as an entity capable of aiding people is lost forever,
>unlike normal apotheosis.

I know what you meant, I just don't see why it should follow that she confers no magic and plenty of reasons why she should still confer magic. Take for example the City of Neimegu. Are we to say that the tears of Elamle that are found there are non-magical because Elamle gives no magic? Where to the people of Elamle go to in their afterlife, if it isn't to Elamle?

>Incidentally the Elamlites don't casually worship
>entities from outside the Oath IMO, except in their great
>ceremonies to the high gods.

I don't think this is feasible. They have to worship Dormal to be great sailors and I don't consider the elves being at all interested in what deities the Elamli worship.

>In Missing Lands, the Elamlite cities seem to abide by
>different versions of the Oath.

Or perhaps they abide by the same oath but settle their obligations in different ways?

> >Well, nobody can fight the Mother of Monsters and nobody tries to. Rather
> >they just stay out of her way and deal with her sprogs. I'm not too sure
> >what world improvement has to do with this.

>Nobody tries to fight the Mom, nobody thinks she can be
>fought, but it doesn't mean she can't be done away with
>by some heroes with a lot of support.

So the Bilini are flawed because they are unable to do away with Dorastor? Are the Praxians flawed because they haven't been able to make the Wastelands grow again?

>As for world improvement, I think getting rid of her is
>number one in the list of things that would terribly improve
>the world (at least for the Elamle folks).

Yes, but I do not see how the oath is flawed because it interferes with "world improvement". Why is the concept of "world improvement" so important to understanding Elmali? If you mean that the Elamli cannot change, I don't think this follows: they have survived the Elf Empire, the Closing, the Mother of Monsters and the Opening.