Re: Imperial Age

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 10:32:16 +0200

Terra Incognita asks about the 2nd age empires.

> Mokatan Empire aka East Sea Empire:
>
> Start:
> Pinnacle:
> End:
> (Do you know about these precise dates?)

I note that Peter M has already answered these and concur with his dates. I can only add that no exact chronology for the Mokatan empire has been written so far. The Closing arrives rather late in the east, so the Mokato Empire lasts quite long.

> AFAIK most Reliable Source is Glorantha: Introduction to Hero Wars

most likely.

> and
> Mokatan Middle Sea Empire seems ruled most of Areas of East Sea even
> semi-Heroplane Isles such like Forng and Memb.

Most areas, but not all islands. As Peter writes, Forng and Memb are not far east enough to be on the hero plane, but they are fabulous and little known places with a long history. Today they have probably not as powerful and grandiose as in the mythical ages though.

I think that Mokato's ambition was to rule everything in the Gods Cycle empire of Govmeranen.

> I don't know theistic worship
> to Island God Hobimarong, Dream Magic of Awaking Magicians and Greg
> Stafford's Pantheon of Mysticism. Three Sages of Mokato.

I don't think dream magic is important in Mokato. I think worship of Hobimarong is (and was) most common, but that the Mokatans have a great respect for mystics (as witnessed by the three sages). I think the mystic connection and the three sages contributed greatly to the benevolent nature of the Mokato empire. I think all Mokato ships had mystics with them when they spread the empire. The mystics calmed both the Mokatans and the natives they visited and thus contributed to the peaceful expansion of the empire.

I think that there was never a king or emperor in Mokato, only a Grand Steward, who acted as a stand-in for Govmeranen, the perfect mystic ruler. Like Govmeranen, the Grand Stewards ruled by example, not by force.

Nils Weinander
A generation comes and a generation goes, but the earth remains the same forever -- Ecclesiastes 1:4

Do You Yahoo!?