Re: Odayla

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 23:08:41 +0200

Alex 'n' Peter :

> > > Odayla as the Bear is not great because Bears are not a
> > > cosmic force. In the Lego blocks of the Cosmos, there
> > > is no primal rune marked Bear. Thus there cannot be
> > > a Great Bear God. No matter how much the Sylilans exalt
> > > him to the skies, he is not going to become Great.
>
> >I didn't _say_ "Odayla as the Bear", I'm talking about Odalya as
> >the cultural god of the Sylilans.
>
> Odayla is still a bear god. While he is more prominent among
> the Sylilans than among the Heortlings, he is [as] incapable of
> being a Great God [as] Yelmalio is.

Hmmmmm : the gears of this thread seem to be frozen.

Axle grease time ?

IMO, if Odayla were to send armies of ursine shocktroopers out to conquer the universe (and succeeded), the Bear Rune could *become* a primal Rune of Glorantha. Non-primal Runes cannot become Primal ones very easily of course ; first, the current Runic structure of the cosmos must be destroyed ; then *your* Rune must be added to the new Runic structure you want to set up.

Oddly enough, this has actually occurred several times in the past.

> >(For those troubled by the cosmic implication, the "real answer"
> >is of course is that Odalya is "related to", or even part-identified
> >with, Orlanth.)
>
> Orlanth worship in the Lunar Empire? I doubt it very much.

Collatoral Orlanth worship does occur in the Lunar Empire, as everywhere else. (Hmmm : softly, softly ; Here There Be Great Gods "Debate"...)

Julian Lord