Re: Odayla

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 23:42:44 +0200

Simon :

> >IMO, if Odayla were to send armies of ursine shocktroopers out to
> conquer the
> >universe (and succeeded), the Bear Rune could *become* a primal Rune
> of Glorantha.
> >Non-primal Runes cannot become Primal ones very easily of course ;
> first, the
> >current Runic structure of the cosmos must be destroyed ; then
> *your* Rune must be
> >added to the new Runic structure you want to set up.
>
> I don't think it works like that.

Yeah well, I wanted to give my pet 'reductio ad absurdum' trick a walk around the block.

Anyways :

> I think you need to prove that
> your rune always was a primal rune, and always should have been seen
> as such.

And what's the difference between this and that ?

> But Bear is just a watered down version of Beast, so this
> clearly isn't so.

In a New World Order where Odayla was Master Of All Things, would this still be the case ?

Perhaps Odayla would have to defeat, destroy, and devour many, many other contenders for ownership of the Beast Rune and/or prove that all other Gloranthan creatures/animals are but watered down versions of the Great Bear, but that's part of the Great God Game isn't it ?

> The best you would get is Bearworld - the theme
> park bear short world.

:-)

> >Oddly enough, this has actually occurred several times in the past.
>
> Err.... when?

Moonrise. The Birth of Umath. The Invasion of Chaos. Various gods & goddesses becoming the new owners of various Primal Runes. The Birth of Time.

To clarify, 'this' in my mind = "changes in the number and/or roster and/or nature [and/or whatever it was (precisely) that Alex was proposing when he first mentioned Odayla] of Glorantha's Prime Runes and/or their Owners"

> Bearing (pun) in mind that 'in the past' and 'in myth'
> are two different things.

And prehistory another.

Julian Lord