Re: Mokato Empire

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 10:50:52 +0200

Terra Incognita on the Mokato Empire:

> IIRC, Jesolo fought against Debaday in Pamaltela and founded his Empire in
> 1st Age East Isles. Govmeranen maybe not suitable for making appropriate
> role if I succeed to grasp the concept of "Empire" correctly.

I think Jesolo's Golden Fleet has no direct connection to the Mokato Empire. There were several political groupings in the 1st age East Isles (Chulan Alliance, Jesolo etc.) but I think they were all rather short-lived and without the necessary unity to become actual empires.

That said, Govmeranen's realm might not have been much of an empire either as regional and local rulers probably had the major influence. Govmernanen wasn't a strong central ruler, but a wise sage who inspired the regional and local rulers to greatness.

> > I think that there was never a king or emperor in Mokato, only
> > a Grand Steward, who acted as a stand-in for Govmeranen, the
> > perfect mystic ruler. Like Govmeranen, the Grand Stewards
> > ruled by example, not by force.
>
> King and emperor are both Europian Terms. Perhaps RW east parallels is more
> suitable.

To continue what I wrote above, I don't think the Grand Steward issued commands, orders and laws to a hierarchy of executives and lesser rulers, but rather gave advice and acted as a moral example. Thus I think the Mokato Empire had little central organization beside its powerful navy.

Nils Weinander
A generation comes and a generation goes, but the earth remains the same forever -- Ecclesiastes 1:4

Do You Yahoo!?