Masloi religion

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 22:13:15 +1200

Mark Mohrfield:
>Do we know what magic system the Masloians use? What little information
>I've seen suggests a form of animism. Or is Elamle-Ata an exception to
>the usual form of magic, like Kolat among the Orlanthi?

I'm going by the Genjera tales where the people of Sharzu (and Genjera and Thinobutu) are forced to shift from worshipping spirits to worshipping gods.

Thus before

::They did not hoard material things, they shared their catches of fish
::and game, and they were one with the Natural Creatures. They did not
::worship Gods as we do today;

and after:

::The Blue-Skin masters worshipped the gods, Afidisia, Tolat, and the
::three Sky Witches, Chermata, Enjata Mo, and Veldara. They forced our
::ancestors to adopt the theistic worship of these deities and sacrifice
::to them, a thing they had never done before.

For the Thinobutans, before:

::Soli the Maker of People danced with them regularly, and his servants
::the Sun Spirit and Earth Spirit came to sing on special occasions.

and after:

::[The demons] forced Thakinda and his people to sacrifice to the
::Underworld Gods Suralavu and Jakamalu.

The explicit distinction in the myth between gods and spirits is heavyhanded IMO but it is something that the outrigger peoples will recognize.