Malkionism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 15:17:27 +1200

Terra Incognita:

>IIRC, [the God Learner] style to ask questions to Other Side Entities
>first appeared in the one article of Wyrm's Footnote. But that was applied
>to "Pagan" Demons rather than God. (Or even foreign gods are tiny face of
>True Sole God?)

That's correct. By saying that they developed the truth contests to question their god first, I'm providing an explanation for how the God Learners came to develop this technique for use on pagan gods (as Wyrm's Footnotes says).

> > The God Learners produced a short version of the Abiding Book that
> > only contained the way to know Makan. This is the Sharp Abiding
> > Book.

>I feel difficulty to translate the meaning of "Sharp" into Japanese.

I have the same difficulty understanding it in English. I get the impression that it's meant to indicate more potent version of the Abiding Book that does not have any kinder material. "Sharp" as an description isn't quite right IMO.

> > Kionvara, the Right Power [as used by God Learner Crusaders]

>If I can understand your sentence of this part correctly, it can be
>appliedto the article of Crusade Ritual Magic in Tales #13 which
>Arkat abused against Tanisorians. But I manage to recall they gradually
>lost the power to use Crusade...

I think it is the power that the God Learner Crusaders called upon and you're right that the text indicates the disappearance of the ability to crusade. Which makes my suggestion as to how the God Learners used it to exploit people somewhat shakey.

> > The Zanbandan of the Inflamers is a form of Public Worship rather
> > than a Higher Understanding. It might have been potent in that
> > its worshippers were capable of better magic than ordinary Malkioni
> > but it deviated from the Abiding Book and so was heretical.

>Caladra & Aurelion, Wachaza, Zistor, Trickster Temple, etc...?

I don't really know. I was thinking that Zanbandan was worshipped by the Safelstrans (on the basis of the Great Fire of Clarity that the Arkati used to burned most of their works - - Elder Secrets p51) but this is just a hunch on the grounds of its condemnation as a heresy.

Zanbandan could be compatible with Caladra & Aurelion but I don't know how that fits in with the God Learner Empire. I do not think it works with Wachaza as he is a sea deity. Zistor IMO was a sorcerous understanding of God rather than a theistic god whereas the Trickster temple was established in the decadent phase of the God Learner Empire (where anything went).

> > The strictest Rokari think that Makan is the highest version
> > of God but have recognized that their toleration of Saints
> > was an error. Saints in their opinion are a pollution of
> > the Ideal plane created by "clever but flawed spells" Glorantha:
> > Intro p52). They seek to reverse this pollution.

>So if they can, they try to erase Saints?

Yup. Saints shouldn't exist and so any that do are false in their eyes.

> Can you extend your Idea about difference between modern Castle Coast
>Worship and Modern New Hrestoli? They are originally survivors of MSE and
>are in a sense living witnesses of Public Worship in Seshnela of Imperial
>Age.

Nick has a better description than I on his webpage at:

http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/malkioni/chivalry.htm

> > *Ideals - what I think the Malkioni had before they had saints.
> > Talar was an ideal ruler, Zzabur the Ideal Sorcerer. It's much
> > difficult than Saintly magic although weaker versions of the
> > Ideals (the Symbols?) are contactable on the spell plane.

>I should read more Hero Wars Rule about Sorcery.

The Ideals aren't in the Hero Wars rules (and neither is my ideas about Knighthood) but are interpretations of bits and pieces of gloranthicana.