Odayla in Sylila

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 22:18:06 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner

>Fact is that the greatness of gods has changed before, and will again.

But not through the actions of ordinary mortals or communities - Arachne Solara usually gets the blame for changing gods. I am extremely dubious that an army of heroquesters could change the gods and note that all previous attempts to do so have been failures.

>However, when the
>Theyalan missionaries entered Sylila in the Dawn Age, they found deep
>secrets of their Heortling Orlanth in the Sylilan rites.

AFAIK this is because the Sylilans knew who Orlanth was.

> >You did say "part-identified" with Orlanth himself

>Which is true the other way around. Since the Lunars can prove that
>Orlanth also is Odayla the Star Bear, they have already proof that
>Orlanth can be a servant of the Goddess.

I don't think the Lunars can do this. All you have is a myth of the Goddess riding the Star Bear and that the Star Bear Constellation is known as also Orlanth's Ring. If it is a subcult shared by both Orlanth and Odayla, then the Lunar domination of the Star Bear would render it unacceptable to Orlanthi cultists. For the Lunars to control Orlanth would require them to dominate Orlanth on the Great Gods plane, rather than wrest a mere subcult away from him.

>If Orlanth's Greatness is what stands in the way of
>overcoming Orlanth, why not try and transfer the Greatness?

Far easier said than done.

>Now the question arises if one culture's subcult rune can be another
>culture's main rune for a deity, or whether these deities can be
>considered identical for practical reasons.

No, I don't think subcults can be morphed into aspects. One can worship a god as a subcult (like Redayla for Elmal or Rigsdal for a number of gods). But one can't turn Vanorlanth (or other subcult manifestations of Orlanth) into an aspect of him.