Yelmalio and Elmal

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 22:57:11 +1200

Alex Ferguson:

>Likewise, given the tortuous RW history
>of the development of the Elmal saga,

Looking at the actual gloranthan history of the Elmali, I don't see any need for it to be as tortuous as the debate over it. I do find the above argument to be rather uncompelling - must the solution to the sobjectivity of the gods somehow be tortuous because the RW debate has been?

>I'd rather like to think that the situation _in Glorantha_ was
>nothing like so cut and dried as "everyone agrees" that they
>are the same divinity, so what's all the fuss about?

But no gloranthan agrees Elmal and Yelmalio are the same deity. I said they were different deities and both the Elmal and Yelmalio writeups take this view. There is a theological confusion in Elmali circles about Solar pollution of his rites and the answer for that lies in Dorastor (ST p51). But Yelmalio was never part of this problem - he was a _solution_ found by Monrogh.