Issaries and the Ban

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:55:46 +1300

Carl Fink spake on Issaries the Great God.

>Relating to this would be the Fronelan Syndics' Ban. As this event has been
>explained, a conspiracy including shamans and priests conducted a ritual
>that involved the appearance of the God of the Silver Feet, another name for
>Issaries, and killed him.

However Issaries has never been described as a Great God (the best explanation so far is that he sold the spare rune to Argan Argar).

>Obviously this didn't destroy Issaries in the universal sense, because
>Issaries worship continued to work everywhere else in Glorantha. (On the
>other hand, didn't the Cults of Silence arise around this time?)

The Cult of Silence sprang up three centuries before the Syndics Ban.

>However, the dramatic, not to say horrifying and tremendously destructive,
>effects of this act might hint at what it would take to replace, and what
>would be the possible result of trying to replace, a Great God.

Greg described on another forum what happens when Orlanth gets chained (when Whitewall falls):

and this will probably appear in Orlanth is Dead!

>Furthermore: if it weren't for the fact that Issaries returned from Hell as
>part of his Godtime activities, would it have been possible to end the Ban?

The Ban was ended by numerous events.

The most obvious cause is that Dormal opened the Oceans, thus allowing Loskalm to be contacted once again. Dormal has the runes of water and communication.

The Loskalmi themselves prefer to believe that the Ecclesiarch of Southpoint undid the Ban with a Seven Year Ritual (Lunar Fifth Wane Chronicle - the Seven Year Ritual comes from the Zero Wane Chronicle).

The Arrolians have a complex explanation involving their Queen, Minderkind Philosophy and the Kingdom of War. Details will be given in Tales #20.

The Lunar Empire claims to have ended the Ban by sending Moonboats to Eastpoint.

Even Jonatela has its own theory on how the Ban was ended. When King Congern was young, the Kings of Jonatela had long been weak kings and a council of nobles had usurped their right to rule (for example, see Richard II and the Appellants, Henry III and Simon de Montford etc). The Kingdom had been so ramshackle that many lords openly defied the power of the crown - the most infamous of these lords dwelling in his estate that was visible from the walls of Okarnia. The lack of of unity within the Kingdom was such that the Ban split Jonatela into several portions, roughly paralleling the distinct communities/factions within the old kingdom.

Congern had been raised on the diet of the deeds of his ancestor, Jonat Bigbear. He longed to emulate Jonat and despised the Council. He thus plunged the portion of the kingdom that he was in into a bloody civil war to re-establish the authority of his crown. He succeeded because he created the boyars and his expertise in siege warfare.

When he conquered everything within his portion of the Ban ("...he wept for there was nothing left to conquer..."), the ban fell away from another part of Jonatela, allowing Congern to enter it. When he had conquered that, the Ban fell away from Jonatela's borders (except for that pesky little rebel within sight of the walls of Okarnia) allowing Congern and his boyars into the rest of Fronela. The way the Ban has thawed from Jonatela has shown to all (Jonatings) that Congern obviously has a divine mission to unify all Fronela under his rule.

>Did a notable Westfaring happen at the time of the end of the Ban?

Nobody knows. It's possible but if it happened, I suspect it occurred among the Fronelan Orlanthi of Oranor or even Galastar.

>(For instance, was Dormal a Lightbringer?)

Doubtful. Missing Lands gives Dormal's companions:

         Lady Valira, appointed by Belintar and bearing his
         special knowledge; Martinarvo, a powerful sorcerer
         who had once worshipped Lhankor Mhy; Edro an ambitious
         Esrolian merchant anxious to compete with the Trader
         Princes of Maniria; Mendalan, a bankrupt heir of a
         ship building family; Fudaru, a mature newtling
         desperately trying to reach the New Fens to breed; and
         a castaway Deri half made with lonliness.
                         Missing Lands p101.

The Deri is a species of telepathic humanoids, and the Waertagi used them for long distance communication (although they were less than trustworthy).