High gods

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 00:38:21 +0200

Jerome ::

> >>(so, whats a "high god"?... if i'm correct the high gods of the
> >>East or those of Pelanda maybe are not great gods).
> >
> >The perils of mixing different terminologies. There are three definitions
> >of High God, two internal to gloranthans and one a rules term (so far).
>
> Just found a fourth, external, definition, that of Glorantha:Intro (p?)
> by which High Gods are "in contact with the higher ideals and spiritual
> powers" (tr?), basically in connection with the Upper World
> (transcendence?). A couple of well-known great gods (Orlanth, Ernalda,
> Yelm) are quoted as being so, and it's added that different high gods
> can share the same mainstream Ultimate Secrets.

FWIW, I know that Greg and others sometimes use the term simply to mean those gods that are neither Great Gods nor Minor ones. The ones in-between, although at a crunch the term can also be used for the GGs as well.

In HW terms, they're the ones with 3 Affinities but only a single Aspect.

Julian Lord

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #578