Weather Predictions

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_ncsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:43:48 -0400

Has anyone considered the effects of the "windstop" in Dragon Pass on weather around the lozenge? Since Greg says that all winds start to blow in the direction of Dragon Pass, it seems likely that it will screw up weather patterns everywhere for the four years that this is in effect.

Do the winds increase in strength with distance from the center, as they do from the center of the Orlanth storm?

In Carmania (for example) this would mean that there will be light winds blowing from the frigid north all year round. Will this bring drought? Crop failure? Or will it bring unusually high rainfall, with the Oronin flooding its banks?

Will Pamalt suffer four years of high-velocity hot winds blowing off the southern desert?

It doesn't seem to me that the people of Dragon Pass will be the only ones to suffer from this event. They may suffer the most, but they probably won't be alone.

I would love to hear people's speculations on what these effects might be...

~Kevin