Starlight Ancestors

From: Stephen Tempest <gd_at_stempest.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 22:56:46 GMT

Peter writes:

>I don't believe the Hyalorings of Saird are descended from the
>Starlight Ancestors for the simple reason that the Jenarong derided
>them as the Liars tribe (and they aren't also listed among the horse
>tribes).

My understanding was more the other way round: the pre-Great Darkness inhabitants of Saird were the first to domesticate horses, but disappeared eastwards when the ice age came (and the rest of Dara Happa hid under the Dome). I'd therefore assumed that the Starlight Ancestors - or, from your account, just the Kalrius half of the tribe - - were _their_ descendents.

As for the Hyalorings living in Saird during the Silver Age, logic (not always reliable) would imply that they were the cousins of the Starlight Ancestors whose own ancestors never left the region. After all, they seem from GRoY to have been fairly close cultural relatives of Jenarong's people, sharing many common traditions and even, it seems, merging with them after the Dawn (as Theyalan expansion drove the Solar horse people northwards out of Saird: cattle presumably do better in that terrain than horses...). As for why the Hirenmador called them Liars: if your neighbours claim to be the original owners of the land, who've lived there forever while you're just recent immigrants, wouldn't you want to call them rude names? Especially if Summon Ancestor magic proved that the Hyaloring ancestors were _not_ the same as the Hirenmador or Veshtargos ancestors... (because of the SA's intermingling with another tribe, but you wouldn't necessarily know that).

Incidentally, two questions:

Is there an proper Gloranthan collective name for "the horse nomads who ruled Peloria before and after the Dawn"? Kargzanti?

Is the current understanding still that Pent was empty until the Horse Nomads were driven there after Argentium Thri'ille, and the HNs are the ancestors of the modern Pentans, or have new historical theories been "discovered"? (Like, the Pentans were there all along, really)