Oabil and Windstop

From: Jerome Blondel <bwbfc_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 09:04:20 +0000

Peter Metcalfe
>>>The Vadeli used to grab slaves from the nearby lands (hence the reason
>>>why the Pamaltelans remember it)

Who called the post-closing Vadeli state New Oabil?

Fall of Oabil
>I bet the dwarfs know...
>
>>I'm simply stating that any mythology surrounding its fall hasn't been
>>made public, not that nobody knows why it fell.

I was supposing the dwarfs destroyed Oabil. A few months ago you unleashed the info that the Vadeli were chaotic.

So i think Oabil turned into a pit of chaotic corruption, and was destroyed by the dwarfs, so that other Vadeli said oops, shouldn't we avoid this? and turned on the camouflage magics. Now everyone in Pamaltela knows that chaos followed the big arrow on the Demon Period map, and there's no reason to assume anything else. Except maybe for the dwarfs, who had the front seats when it happened and saw it all.

But perhaps actually the world machine had just been broken so there's no wonder, and now the Vadeli are perfectly repaired according to schedule. Of course the Country Planning division recently had some minor problems with the reconstruction of Oabil (a temporary phase of the repair, but a necessary one), the stupid barbarians again, but it should be corrected soon when the winds will be turned off, disabling the barbarians and allowing the Doom Currents to stop all open sea navigation except for the Vadeli (and the dwarfs, who got the Opening magic from them).

Probably the dwarfs would have other, more reasonable reasons for turning off the winds, shouldn't they?

Kevin P. MacDonald on windstop:

IIRC Greg Stafford said the winds blow steadily and quite slowly (or was it 'a fair breeze'?). Well, a steady wind blowing from the Nargan is bad enough for Pamalt, notably it means no Keraun rain season for 4 years!!! The Fonritians will be happy because for them it means no typhoons, and no desert storm in Prax, and no Valind blizzard in Fronela, etc.

Despite that fine weather, there will be serious problems, for example, Umathela will suffer a 4 years' drought, because it's the north wind that brings the rains in winter, so probably the Vralos deciduous woods will fare badly, especially if they have to withstand a a 4 years' summer Season War against Afadjann. But it's much anticipating.

However i'm sure other regions will have similar problems with drought or too much rain or such things. Fortunately for Carmania, it is within the Glowline, so its winds are not affected. I don't know if the East Isles are affected, they have a peculiar weather system.

Finally the consequences on sea transportations will likely be quite problematic. All the trade winds are gone, for a start. Then if you try any north-south voyage with a galley and strong rowers, maybe it would be a good idea to learn how to ride the Doom Currents because nothing will be keeping them from rushing out at unexpected moments.

Jerome

Téléchargez MSN Explorer gratuitement à l'adresse http://explorer.msn.fr/intl.asp

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #584