Re: Idols

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 18:48:28 +0100 (BST)

Jerome Blondel:
> Well, i guess i've learned a new thing about spirit worship. Now, it's been
> said the folk of the Genjera Tales used to be animists but their conquerors
> forced them to sacrifice to gods. In their great rituals, they undoubtedly
> go to the Godplane. But i'd like them to display remains of those animistic
> ways, and i didn't even intend the similarity you noticed.

They could even still _be_ animists, and simply sacrificing to the "foreign gods" by (gasp) misapplied worship. Key question is, did their _practices_ change (and if so how much), or simply their notional object?

> Collective idols are technically kind of guardian beings.

Now that makes sense. This would suggest to me that the "entity" (ignoring for now whether it's a spirit or a 'god' (daimon)) would be not so much "something you get magic from" as "something you ask (nicely) to do magic for you".

Or to get briefly "take it to hw-rules, punk!", you might have a Relationship to such a being, rather than an Affinity from it...

> I think there can be individual relations to idols too. Our fisherman wants
> some specific feat. He's gifting the priest properly, paying him a beer now
> and then, and with help from his family and the priest does some ritual
> preparation. There comes the yearly Big Fish Rites. Our fisherman meets the
> Fisherman Hero in person there on the Godplane and makes a bargain with him.
> Now he can use an an extra feat from the fishing idol (Kill Sharks with
> Teeth). In return, he must obey some extra taboos vis-a-vis to the idol,
> thus showing he pays it more attention.

Yep, works for me. Stand alone feat/integrated talent -- rules-wise, it's the same thing (give or take the odd Misapplication...).

> >The idol shares its self with what, though? That _is_ the self of the
> >idol? I'm not especially gripped by this as an account of what's
> >going on.
>
> You're right, that was silly. The people probably give food to their idols,
> satisfy their whims, and in some clans even dress them like Barbie dolls

*disturbed shudder*

> all things that are direct sacrifice.

All lesser/ritual sacrifice, yes.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #589