Ancestors

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:15:51 +1300

Brad Furst:

>I'm wondering about Ancestor Worship in Glorantha (Daka Fal, et.al.):

Since you've specified Daka Fal, I'll ignore the Orlanthi case.

>Of the various spirits/ancestors which arrive from the random
>gaming lists, or from deliberate selection for purposes of gifting
>spells or power or offering possession, etc., does the demography
>only include parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, (ad
>infinitum) of the shaman/spellcaster? Or are uncles, aunts, cousins,
>siblings included also, as if all the Descendents of the original
>clan/tribal Ancestor? Are in-laws included (by marriage or adoption
>or otherwise)?

There's no one answer. It depends on what you recognize as a kinship relation. If you were a Praxian, then ancestors might be reckoned on the basis of direct descent. If you were a troll, then it might be reckoned on the direct relationship to your maternal ancestry (you can call upon a maternal uncle but can't call upon anybody from your father's side of the family). The case of in-laws might be a Doraddi practice.