Re: Idols

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 20:47:45 GMT

Jerome Blondel:
> Yes. I think their other side which used to be spirit, became divine when
> the Artmali altered the local otherworld to fit their standards of
> perfection. I don't know if that's possible: it's a rather drastic trick,
> and not necessarily necessary.

I'm a bit wary of these "meta-myths", that explain Gloranthan events directly in terms of distinctions between the "different" other worlds, but that may be just me. At any rate, I don't think it's impossible as such, though it's certainly betoken a fairly drastic remaking of the world. (I think the Dawn qualifies as such, though!)

> Perhaps an idol stands for a common goal the community is trying to fulfil?
> The various idols are probably like a set of social symbols.

Hrm. The more you describe them, the more they sound analogous to O. wyters, as much as anything else...

> >As described, it doesn't sound especially different from the sorts of
> >"totemic" stuff that the Praxians, say, do.
>
> It doesn't, does it..

What conclusion that leads us to, I couldn't possibly comment on. :-|

> I sincerely hope that didn't look 'too kind' :-) I never thought an
> relationship could be used to do magic.

You've never had the ability "Friends high up in the Ernalda priestesshood", then. ;-) In a sense, this is the basis of all thiestic and most animist magic, though, isn't it?