Idols

From: Bwbfc_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 17:31:41 EST

Alex Ferguson:

>> Perhaps an idol stands for a common goal the community is trying to
>> fulfil? The various idols are probably like a set of social symbols.
>
>Hrm. The more you describe them, the more they sound analogous to
>O. wyters, as much as anything else...

Well, I now think the 'common goal' thing is common to most if not all guardian beings, so that didn't make so much sense.

The second thing about idols being social symbols is perhaps common to most theist guardian beings (wyters notably), except that the Maslo people have a whole set of those, each with some specificities, some of which Orlanthi wyters don't have.

>> >As described, it doesn't sound especially different from the sorts
>> >of "totemic" stuff that the Praxians, say, do.
>>
>> It doesn't, does it..
>
>What conclusion that leads us to, I couldn't possibly comment on. :-|

I was just being fatalistic, but thank you noticing it to me. I don't know about Praxian "totemism". Do they have totems for each clan, each subgroup of society, etc? Acting like guardian beings? In that case I'd say you're right, but it's also a fairly common phenomenon in most cultures. Is it something else or something more specific?

The Pelandans are idol-worshippers too, or were, and they seem to have some animistic tendencies as well. I'll try to look at that.

>> I sincerely hope that didn't look 'too kind' :-) I never thought
>> an relationship could be used to do magic.
>
>You've never had the ability "Friends high up in the Ernalda
>priestesshood", then. ;-) In a sense, this is the basis of all
>thiestic and most animist magic, though, isn't it?

Er, yes. I forgot that a lot of people do magic with their relationship to the gods.

cheers,
Jerome