Re: Hidden Mythologies in Anaxial's Roster

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 18:54:25 EST

In a message dated 04/11/01 22:00:30 GMT Standard Time, owner-glorantha-digest_at_chaosium.com writes:

<< Anaxial Roster contains several fragments of some unknown mythology which
 appeared in past "unofficial" books or perfectly not-mentioned resource. As  several Chinese and Greek Mythology-student always lamented the lost sources  which was lost in long period and tried to restore originals from Fragments  such like other field sources like poetry and topography, I think maybe such  work is needed in someday of future.

<< Danmalastan "Zzabur's Descent of Animals" /Mule?/ >>

    The mule, being a hybrid creature, has been developed more than once. The ancient Danmalastani mules would, of course, have been related to the Danamalastani horses (daron) rather than the central Genertelan ones, so they aren't identical. Horses are one of those creatures that, like humans, have multiple origins.

<< God Learners /Hippogriff?/ >>

     This is likely a God Learner myth, yes. Obviously it isn't an origin for the creatures - which is probably Dara Happan.

<</Satyr?/Centaur?>>

     These are myths from the natural animist tradition followed by the centaurs and their kin IMO.

<<Rabbit>>

     A God Learner myth by the sounds of it, yes. Again, a beast with multiple origins; theist, spirit and sorcerous.

<<Bazak (rubble runner)>>

    A Praxian story, one assumes, but the actual origin could be anything

<<Scorpion Giant/Giant, Mountain?>>

     I suppose these are as much GL explanations as anything else.

<<Grotaron? >>

     That's their own origin story; nothing to do with the GLs.

<<Altinae?/>>

      The Altinae's origin (whatever it may be) would lie in their own theist mythology and pantheon, which is unknown to the Inner World.

<<Memovore?/Hellion?>>

      An essence from the sorcery world, to be sure, so in that sense Malkioni. Creations of primal runes (Illusion and Theft, probably) in the same way as living animals are creations of the primal Beast rune.

<<Redcap/>>

      A purposeful creation of sorcerers; they're as likely to have been GLs as anything else, I guess, although I'm sure redcaps have been around longer than that.

<<Kon-kon?/>>

     Probably not GL - they are spirit entities, and I personally think their origin is Pamaltelan.

<<Boggle/Tilntae?>>

     Both products of the Celestial Court, whose greatest understanding today probably does come from the GL myths (although not just from them, one suspects).

<<Other Malkioni /Quenlarg?/>>

     Could be (in the Zzabur's Descent sense); although the Pentan story is equally good, if not better.

<<Basilisk?/>>

      Creations of 'evil' sorcerers, so Zzaburi rather than Malkioni per se. Indeed, the Malkioni origin story for animals essentially *is* Zzabur's Descent, so there isn't much difference here.

<<Luathan?/>>

     Their own sorcerous mythology, which is closely related to that of the Zzaburi/Malkioni.

 <<Dara Happa "Anaxial's Ark" Jukhar?>>

     Certainly I intended the Jukhar to be Dara Happan in origin.

<< Pelanda /Owl-lion?/>>

     Carmanian/Pelandan, yes.

<</Brown Bear?/>>

      Hsunchen, not Pelandan. Arakang is one of those spirit entities whose presence in Pelorian mythology relates to ancient contacts with the hsunchen on their borders.

<</Puma?>>

     Pelandan, yes.

<< Carmania Lion/Golden Lion? >>

     Durbaddath is, I believe, a Pelorian deity, although his offspring do feature in Carmanian mythology, to be sure.

<<Lunar Destinxin?>>

     Rinliddian, but also featuring in Lunar stories, since the Red Goddess adopted them.

<< Heortling /Zarur?/>>

     Or Praxian; possibly both.

<<Inora Fox?/>>

     Orlanthi, perhaps, but not Heortling, since the creatures don't live anywhere near Heortling lands.

<<Common Wolf?/>>

      Hsunchen, not Heortling.

<<Durlulz>>

      Vithelan, if anything.

<<Wyvern?/>>

      Mentioned in Heortling myth, of course, but draconic in origin.

<< Other Orlanthi /Cattle>>

     Many origins; Heortling, Pelorian, Danmalastani; you name it.

<<Goats/>>

     Multiple origins; Heortling, Pelorian and Hsunchen (for the (American) mountain goat) spring to mind.

<<Mastodon?/>>

     Hsunchen.

<<Broo?/>>

     Feature in Heortling myth; but their mythology is their own IMO.

<<Umbroli?>>

     Orlanthi, yes.

<< Wolf Alliance& Great Deer Fell Wolf?/>>

     Telmori, yes.

<<Other Hsunchen Wasp, Giant?>>

     Some Western loony is responsible for these, it seems. Gorakiki worshippers might have adopted them (or perhaps even made their own), but even then, Gorakiki is an Uz deity not really hsunchen, for all the similarities.

<< Kralorela Praxian Rhinoceros?/>>

     In their myths, sure, as an enemy creature made by wicked outsider gods. Praxian in origin, of course.

<<True Dragon/Dragon, Eastern/Li Lung/Shen Lung>>

     Draconic, rather than Kralori per se. Granted, that can be a narrow distinction at times.

<< Pamaltela /Rhinoceros?>>

     Pamalt made the rhinos by scraping the dirt from under his toenails, apparently. There are lots of different rhinos in Pamaltela.

<< Dwarf Ant, Giant?/>>

     Uz, except in the "we know these as outsider enemies" sense.

<< Dragonewt /Aepyornis?>>

     Yes.

<</Newtling?/>>

     Their own mythology, IMO, though it may well be related to that of the dragonewts.

<<Gazzam?/>>

     Too broad a category; they have many variable origins, theist, animist and so on.

<< Chaos /Ghoul? >>

     Sure.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky