Re: Building Wall

From: Bwbfc_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 04:35:59 EST

Alex Ferguson
>What is there "known" (or indeed just vaguely rumoured) about the
>Battle of the Building Wall in 1605, and indeed about the Building
>Wall itself?

A paragraph describes it in Tradetalk #4. (p15), and it's mentioned in Glorantha Intro (esrolian military). The Pharaoh rose it with help from the Esrolian queens and some brave folk who volunteered (?) to have their bodies (and souls) bound inside the wall. The Lunar army tried to attack the wall but was driven off with heavy losses. In some sections the wall is coral-like, elsewhere it looks like an earth wall.

Two Grazer stories on David Dunham's webpage mention the Building Wall. (some traders sell chunks of it for the price of coral, and the Grazers damn the Pharaoh for it because it makes raiding more difficult. In some places the wall has narrow gaps, but they're hard to find.)

I believe the wall itself is huge (100m or more). When it shines in the sun it's quite beautiful but when you're in its shadow (that is, north of it most of time), the feeling that it's risen from the sea's bottom (or the earth's bottom in some sections) is quite scary in those rolling grazelands.

I suppose guards patrol it, and maybe the ghosts of the aforementioned volunteers too, by night. Finally, the wall might be able heal itself, or slowly regrow, when it's damaged. (possibly only with proper sacrifices)

cheers,
Jerome