Gloranthan New Years resolution clarification

From: Meints, Richard (R.J.) <"Meints,>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 08:46:59 -0500

All,

Stefan has raised some very good points in his reply. I totally agree that we shouldn't be afraid to criticize the Hero Wars rules, material, quality, variety, etc. Most importantly, we must criticize Issaries' efforts in a CONSTRUCTIVE way. I'm not trying to say that Stefan is guilty of being unconstructive, nor am I trying to single anyone out. A strong, constructive feedback loop is vital towards improving the product line. It is very safe to say that numerous faults were pointed out as the early products were released, and fortunately many (but by no means all) of those issues are in the process of being corrected. It was fantastic to see many people step up and help with the solutions, like producing the missing indexes or online gaming aids.

Trying to be a supporter and recruiter for Hero Wars is very difficult if the goods on offer are lousy, no doubt about it.

The main point I am trying to get across with my resolution post is that very few people wake up one day, decide to become a gamer, and then go to a game shop to see what is on offer. Most gamers are introduced to gaming and specific systems through veteran gamers. Most newbie gamers are happy to try other systems, but not usually from just picking something off of the game store shelf and having a go at it. They try demos in game shops, game clubs, or at conventions. Being the people who run those demos are where we come in. Being veterans, who know the good, the bad and the ugly that is Hero Wars, we can filter out the junk and show off Glorantha's and the system's great points. We can present it in a digestible way that is neither overwhelming or intimidating.

Rick

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #645