Gloranthan New Years Resolution

From: Meints, Richard (R.J.) <"Meints,>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 12:00:07 -0500

Hello all,

2002 will be the make or break year for Hero Wars. Sales of the soon to be published second edition of the rules and supporting supplements (Barbarian Adventures, Lunars, Hero's Book, Orlanth is Dead) will either let Issaries to financially continue or force it to close its doors.

That's the simple reality.

Being a Gloranthan, I've asked myself one question:

Do I want to sit back and passively watch - -or-
do something to affect the odds ?

In answer to that question, I've come up with my Gloranthan New Year's Resolution:

Every month I'm going to try and get one new person to play Hero Wars.

That may work out to running one session for 3-4 newbies every few months, but by the end of the year I want at least 12 people on my list. Alternatively, I may go to a convention like Michicon, Ucon (Ann Arbor) or Gencon US and run a couple of 6 person demos and get it all out of the way in one go, but either way I'll have at least 12 people sample Hero Wars. If only one in four decide to continue playing the game, that will be four new Gloranthans.

The formula is simple: New Players = The game lives.

It will be a banner year for publishing, as the following things are on the horizon for 2002:

Barbarian Adventures
Hero's Book
Orlanth is Dead
Lunar Imperial Handbook
Hero Wars 2nd edition
UZ: The Trolls of Glorantha
Unspoken Word 2 (and probably 3)
Tradetalk 10 and 11 (at least)
Legacy of Pavis (another P&BR Companion) Ye Book of Tentacles IV
Tales 20
Classics Vol. III: Cult Compendium
Classics Vol. IV: Borderlands and Plunder

That's just the stuff with certain or very high probability. The page count of Gloranthan material in print will far exceed any amounts in print at any time in the game's history, even 1982-1983! We won't be able to use the lack of quality material as an excuse.

Glorantha doesn't need armchair quarterbacks.

Nuff said.
Rick Meints
www.glorantha.co.uk

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #644