Re: Ages in Glorantha

From: Ben Waggoner <ben_at_aracnet.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:17:31 -0800

Peter Metcalf:
> I suspect the numbered ages comes from Joachim of Fiore who
> divided history into three epochs, each corresponding to the
> Father, Son and Spirit. FWIW Greg now shies away from the
> 1st age, 2nd age etc in favour of Dawn Age, Imperial Age and
> Modern Age.

    So, does the 4th age have a descriptor? I assume the "Hero Wars" describes the transition period between the 3rd and 4th ages, not the age itself. There certainly were plenty of Heroes Warring in the Dawn and Imperial Ages.

    Or is the character of the fourth age supposed to be determined through play?

    A startling percentage of modern fantasy stories seem to take place at the cusp between 3rd and 4th ages. Some kind of "rule of threes" thing going on here?

Ben Waggoner
Interframe Media <http://www.interframemedia.com> Digital Video Compression Consulting, Training, and Encoding