Alakoring Tribes

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 17:14:10 +1300

Terra Incognita:

>And I try to understand the difference of Alakorings and Heortlings in
>Orlanthi Society, it seems Alakorings absorbed the First Age conquerors
>(Talastarings?) and other area barbarians (Brolia or Bilini?),

The Alakorings didn't absorb anybody. What happened is that numerous tribes adopted rituals and practices which Alakoring had brought from Lankst (an example is Orlanth Rex). Many of those tribes became Alakoring tribes while many tribes of the south are still known as Heortlings despite using Alakoring rites.

As an example of the complexity of the divisions, consider Tarsh. Normally it would be considered a Heortling nation *but* the current dynasty is descended from one Illaro Blacktooth who claimed descent from Alakoring. So the Tarshites consider themselves Alakorings rather than Heortlings.

>I guess Winter tribes are generally
>anti-EWF, and survived Summer Tribes are pro-EWF, and their difference is
>paralleled to the Rivalry between Chieftains and Priests:

I don't think that's the cause. The southern Heortlings remained under the influence of the EWF longer because draconic influence was so much stronger there. The northerners on the other hand could resist the EWF more easily because there were fewer dragons where they lived.

>Hero: Alakoring / Heortling
>Upper Class: Kings / Priesthood
>Friend: Dara Happa / Dragons
>Power: Centralized / Diverted

Both Alakorings and pre-Alakoring Heortlings had Kings and Priests. What the Heortling Kings (before Alakoring) lacked was the ability to boss the priests around. That is one known difference.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #659