Hill of Gold and Yelmalio

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <graham_at_albionsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 21:08:30 +0000

To Mr. Hiroki Shimizu

It seems that recently I fill the role of Riddler for you... Maybe you should try to avoid Illuminated.

I think Yelmalio in Hill of Gold was rather Scapegoat of Martyr (or, Trickster) than Hero or God and it is similar to Christ climbing over Hill of Golgotha. For me, Yelmalio was rather the dying Emperors who fought for The Orb of the Eye. (Vanyoramet or Vergestus) than the god himself.

Consider about each DH Emperors as the Gods, Anaxial is apparently the Ship God of Yuthuppa, Lukarius is Incarnation of Saggitus, Manimat is the God of Darjiin, Alkothians dislike this Emperor, see Malion's Website for Shargash write-up.

In Hill of Gold, Four Entities were. Cold Queen. Warrior of Darkness. Storm King and Son of Light...

Recent Conversation about Hill of Gold with Harald Smith (Expert of Saird)

Me:
>I have been fascinated by the Cycles of Imtherian Mythology (but I don't
>know how much you have changed / adopted to other area contributers for
>making Unified Nexus of many cultures after publishing NLG and GS made list
>of Experts, but I am sure that certainly Argrath will move northward after
>taking care of Tarsh Storm betrayers in HW Schedule.)

Harald:
>Not much change per se. Imther is a backwater culture, very conservative,
>and has had little outside influence. In many ways it represents what you
>might have seen in Vanch in the late 2nd age plus some Lunar influence.
>What has changed is my understanding of the cult of Khelmal, which is a
mask
>of the Vanchite deity Tunoral.

Harald:
>Many folks have a Hill of Gold mythology--witness the assorted
>stories/viewpoints published in Enclosure, I believe. Heliakal is a solar
>ruler of Saird who was defeated by Orlanth and crushed by the Winter
God--he
>has no worship, though Vanchites may cheerfully tell Yelmalians that this
is
>who they really worship. Khelmal is a mask of Tunoral, the primary
Vanchite
>deity (related to the raccoon god and known to most surrounding cultures as
>a thief, though Vanchites know he is a survivor).

Me:
>I don't know how much you harmonized these ideas which written by others
-..

Harald:
>A lot of work and correspondence has gone into the development of Southern
>Peloria/Saird to pull in the Orlanthi and Dara Happan influences. Thus,
>Holay is an Orlanthi culture where Orlanth has not been seen in at least a
>century and Lunar influence is strong. Sylila is an Orlanth/Odaylan
culture
>where Odayla was tamed and entered the Lunar empire, though the Sky Bear
may
>well run free again. Saird is a loose term that describes either a large
>area including all of Holay, Sylila, and Vanch (as at the end of the 2nd
Age
>when the Dog Kings ruled and drove out the EWF) or a non-existent state or
>stretch of land along the Black Eel river around Mirin's Cross or a kingdom
>to be resurrected. Vanch is a patchwork land where the locals have taken
>bits and pieces of many cultures and woven them into their unique culture.

Harald:
>Heliakal is subservient to Khelmal because Khelmal saved the only surviving
>part of Heliakal--his shield of light (which occasionally changes form over
>time, depending on which Khelmal hero succeeds in their Hill of Gold
quest).
>Khelmal is Tunoral (or a mask of his). Khelmal is also called the Bearer
of
>Hope, and was the mask of Tunoral "discovered" in the late 2nd Age. Other
>known masks are Tunoral the Survivor and Kemel the Dutiful (the first was
>the Dawn Age mask, the second "discovered" in the late 1st Age to save the
>culture from being overrun by DH). Other masks exist in Vanch, though I
>believe that Kemel was revived following the defeat by the Lunars.

Me:
>In Vanch Mythology of Enclosure 2, Tunoral was subservient to Heliacal as
>Raccoon (?) God, and other two were Yotelap the Fox (He betrayed as
Yurmalio
>in Imther Story) and Sarval the Possum play Dead (in contrary, Heliacal in
>Imther was subservient to Khelmal and died.)

Harald:
>Originally, in development, Heliacal was a subcult of Khelmal. I now
>understand that Heliacal was Khelmal's lord, the Throne of Justice for
>southern Peloria. Khelmal was shieldman to Heliacal. Tunoral (as well as
>Yotelap/Yurmalio and Sarval) were other followers. Tunoraling myth speaks
>of Khelmal as a small man who carried away a shield (Heliacal's) that was
>too big for him. Khelmal myth speaks of Tunoral as a thief who carried off
>a shard of justice. Both escaped and survived the Hill of Gold and
>organized folk to survive the Great Darkness.

_at_Enclosure 2
Hill of Gold Mythologies (Point of View from Trolls, Elves and Vanchites)

_at_Tales of the Reaching Moon #18
Hill of Victory (Orlanthi Point of View) Stephen Martin

And many websites about Hill of Gold exist...Nikk Effingham Site has many HOG setting.

Below is webisite for more Yelmalion Mystery... _at_Emperor Khorzanelm
http://www.glorantha.com/new/more_khorzanelm.html

_at_Battle of Night & Day
http://www.glorantha.com/new/battle_nightday.html

_at_Tarumath & Dayseneras