Broyan and Harrek

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 15:47:17 +1300

Joerg Baumgartner:

>I think that Broyan had gained power by his recognition as protector
>of Kethaela after he had pushed the Lunars out at Pennel Ford.

Since Pennel Ford is 1624 and Broyan dies in 1625, I doubt there's sufficient time for Broyan to acquire magical authority over Kethaela to the degree that you suggest (Belintar himself took longer).

Furthermore one of the conditions under which Argrath becomes Protector is that "he abdicate when their own High King shows up" (KoS p26). I have a difficult time imagining Broyan assenting to anything like this or even Broyan keeping his fingers crossed when he promises to do so.

>He loses this power and more when he sells the City of
>Wonders to Harrek. The Kitori exploit this weakness later
>that year.

Which implies some form of acceptance of the Pharaonic regime, an odd decision for the ultra-traditionalist Broyan.

>Note that the Minaryth Blue timeline hints at Broyan alive
>later than this.

Minaryth Blue does not. The reference is KoS p26 which has Broyan killed by the Wolf Pirates after the flame of Sartar has been lit. To have Broyan somehow survive the death of his army is like having Hamlet being cured of Laertes's poison, Brutus surviving Philippi, or the Priest resurrecting Romeo and Juliet - it cheapens the tragedy of his death.

A way in which Broyan could appear after his death is already given in KoS p34 - the Army of Dead Heroes. After his death, Broyan would have been buried in the manner of Egil Cragbrow (ST p129). This is done so that the local Larnsti can use the powers of the Soul Arranger and make the dead defend their people for a while. In this way, Broyan was called back to defend Heortland from the Wolf Pirates but suffered the ignominy of being driven off. In desperation the Heortlanders call upon Argrath...

> >I'm now thinking that since the City disappeared before Harrek
> >could plunder it properly (VoG),

>Don't you misread this? The VoG story has a reality split with one reality
>for the Wolf Pirates plundering and slaying as much as they want, and
>another reality taking the city (in the state before the attack) into
>another realm.

So Harrek is going to be satisfied with just half of the expected loot from the City of Wonders? I don't think so.

>Harrek apparently isn't after mundane loot, but after huge collections of
>otherworldly artifacts.

Which is odd given his behaviour after the battle of Pennel Ford. He kept all the gold treasure from the Sun Priests and spent it at Nochet City.

On the other hand, giving that the loot from the City of Wonders is devoid of any history before the attack, it would be weaker than expected and Harrek will be even more hacked off.

>I doubt that Whitewall after the Lunar conquest has much
>to offer [to Harrek].

The same could be said of Boldhome yet Harrek still sacked it.

>I agree - if anything, all of Heortland now uniformly has nobility with
>western titles (and in most cases, western pedigree as well).

All of Heortland except the Volsaxi, I think you meant?

--Peter Metcalfe