Volsaxi and Trade

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:39:49 +1300

Joerg Baumgartner:

>Me>The Volsaxi are part of the Hendreiki tribe but reject the Pharaoh.

>Most recently (i.e. Sartar's - Jarosar's reigns, until Tarkalor
>entered the picture) because the Pharaoh encouraged the Kitori
>to block the trade route through the Marzeel Valley, which they
>did (among other things) by exacting tribute from the Heortlings
>of the valley.

I seriously doubt that the Pharaoh or the Kitori ever thought in terms of blocking trade routes to punish people. Secondly why would the Pharaoh allow the Kitori to exact tribute from _his_ heortlings and thus alienate them? The Volsaxi revolt was from the Pharaoh, _not_ the Kitori.

>the blockade of all trade into Quiviniland prior to Tarkalor's war has
>been described as a hostile reaction to Sartar's bid for independence
>(Wyrm's Footnotes #6, not entirely reproduced in Wyrm's Footprints).

If there was anything like a total blockade of all trade between the Holy Country and Sartar, one would have expected it to be noticed in the KoS.

The trade-route is described as follows:

         Trade steadily increased along the routes established
         by Sartar.  They began in Kethaela at the city of Karse
         and travelled north to Sartar's lands, reaching Wilmskirk.
         There Sartar's great road went east to Boldhome, and then
         either further east to Swenstown, or further north to
         Jonstown.  From Jonstown, caravans went further north
         to Tarsh, either via Aldachur or across the Dragons Eye
         to the Tarsh capital of Bagnot.
                         KoS p137

> > I don't think the Pharaoh whose stated aim was to free the
> > land from Darkness would have countenanced imposing his
> > subjects to the same force.

>The Pharaoh was happy enough to blockade the direct trade via
>Whitewall into Sartar's new confederation when his former subject
>made the bid for High King of Dragon Pass. He did accept trade along
>the New River with the ducks as intermediates.

This is news to the chronicler of CHDP. Nor is there any hint of reopened trade routes during Tarkalor's time. Secondly Sartar only made friends with the ducks because he needed someplace to establish a city and the Colymar didn't want it.

--Peter Metcalfe