Clarification sought

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:14:04 +0100

Barry Redmond :

(ultra-cool name BTW)

First of all :

> I was just wondering if Julian was a moderator on this list, and if so are
> his comments therefore 'official'?

No (neither list), no. But heartfelt.

I don't want to see the GD drained of its soul.

> These two pieces are from a recent Gloranthan Digest:
>
> 1. Julian Lord:
>
> 'Criticism of HW is a topic for the GD or hw-rules list, depending on
> whether it's rules criticism or background/world criticism'.
>
> 2. Graham Robinson:
>
> 'Criticism of Hero Wars products and their content is NOT appropriate for
> the Glorantha Digest. Discussion of the background, and the implications of
> new revelations in such products is appropriate. In general, a good guide is
> discussion here should be of interest to those who have no interest in Hero
> Wars, but an interest in Glorantha'.
>
> If *both* are right it would appear that criticism of HW is now forbidden.

I haven't read that issue of the GD yet, but I'll respond anyway.

Not having read Graham's words in context :

IMO any desiress to limit attacks on HW and Glorantha to private e-mail, OpenHeroWars, and other off-list forums are doomed to failure, not to mention counter-productive, and ... er ... .

I'm hoping that Graham really meant that out-and-out _HW-Bashing_ is unappropriate, but the statement that the GD should be "of interest to those who have no interest in Hero Wars, but an interest in Glorantha" seems, though ambiguous, to be pointing in the wrong direction.

And a little self-contradictory IMO.

As John pointed out in a recent HeroWars post, Glorantha is for gaming, and that
means Hero Wars. Even if one were to consider Glorantha as more important than HW ( ??? ) , surely that means that criticism of HW (not as a set of rules, but as an illustration of Glorantha) is actually _quite_ appropriate to the GD.

I fail to see that certain types of eminently GD-type discussions of Glorantha are even * possible * without an element of "criticism of Hero Wars products and their content".

Julian Lord

PS (Clarification of my own, having read Graham's post)

When I said the GD is a place for "negative contributions", I really meant that the GD is a place to explore possible faults in Glorantha and the _relevantly_ _Gloranthan_ content of HW and HW products, as opposed to the HeroWars list and its "positive" skew towards helping other people in the Gloranthan Community play the HW game.

Not : "The GD is a great place for a flamewar" or somesuch.

Even though, yes, they happen more often than elsewhere.

Sorry for any confusion.