Re: Heortling Kingship

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 14:01:44 +0100

TERRA INCOGNITA & Joerg :

> >*Great Darkness
> >Era of Rastagar
> >Before or After, Heortling and Haranding fought for the territory >though
> >both of them were Orlanthi and followed similar custom. I don't know well
> >about the origin of other Orlanthi aside from Vingkotling, (though it seems
> >many of them insisted the blood of the Great God.)
>
> The Harandings were Dureving Orlanthi from Maniria.

I don't think that they were Durevings. I think that they started as a splinter group of ex-Heortlings, almost exactly as Terra has suggested. They were one of the Ten Tribes of "the Orlanthi".

The History of the Durevings is very obscure, but we do at least know quite a lot about what the Durevings were * not *. Not Heortlings, not Vingkotlings, not Alakorings, not Helerings, not Wenelians. Also not Esrolans, as these people appeared later in the day.

> >Era of Verenmars
>
> >But it seems they also kept their First among Them as High King, and maybe
> >it means "Successor of True Orlanthi Kingdom after Heortling was corrupted
> >by Draconic Blasphemous Way."
> >They revised their name Alakoring, as Heort revised their name to Heortling
> >from Vingkotling.
>
> IMO the Alakoring kingship is restricted to tribal kingship (over small
> tribes). Anything larger is either a warlord forming a temporary alliance
> (like Greymane among the Solanthi), or a Sacred King like the Kings of
> Dragon Pass.
>
> No, wait, this doesn't explain King Rascius of Aggar or the Talastari (I
> known they aren't Heortlings, but they do follow Alakoring customs) High
> Kings, and only partially the Queen of Holay. There is nothing to indicate
> any "sacred" component in Rascius' kingship over Aggar, nor in Bolthor's.

Jerome Blondel's suggestions regarding Elmal (see Nick Brooke's website, seem like the best starting point for the "Alakoring Kings" line of inquiry. IMO Julian Lord