Spuds

From: Pete McAveney <mcaveney_at_valinet.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:59:12 GMT

Peter Larsen:
>I suppose some brute could have messed with the
>Potato Goddess and ruined the crop for Dragon Pass

Who is the potato goddess, btw? Asrelia?

>-- maybe Arkat brought a potato blight with him to screw with the Bright Empire.
Any ideas?

Sounds mythically wrong to me. Don't tubers have associations with elemental darkness? I can't see self-respecting Dara Happans eating them.

In the RW potatoes have a radical effect on a culture when they're introduced - they are several times more productive than grain crops on a calories per acre basis. Usually this creates a population boom of really, really poor people.   (No one subsists on potatoes when bread is a viable alternative.)

Perhaps they helped the Esrolians survive the Greater Darkness, but were wiped out by one of Malia's minions? During the privations of the Hero Wars someone could go heroquesting, defeat the minion, and bring back the potatoes to help their group survive ...

Pete McAveney