Re: The Mighty Spud

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 13:20:55 +0000

Alex:

> I imagine that Genertela has spuds, since the model for its flora and
> fauna seems to be essentially North American, in some at least stream
> of conscious fashion.

FWIW, the scheme used in Anaxial's Roster was:

Maniria & Seshnela: Europe
Peloria: USA
Fronela: Canada
Kralorela: Eastern Asia
Verenela: Southern Asia
Pent: Northern Asia

These aren't hard and fast rules - Greg has an (understandable) habit of putting American animals in all over the place, which had to be allowed for; Ralios and Dragon Pass are intentionally 'mixed' zones; where creatures would logically wander from one region into the next they do so; the Wastes are _sui generis_; if something sounded cool I did it anyway; even some of the apparently mundane creatures are made up; etc.

I did have a similar scheme for Pamaltela, but if I were to do _Rasout's Prey_ (or whatever it might be called) now, I'd re-write my original to something like:

Jungles: South America
Kothar: Africa
Zamokil: Australia
Jolar & Fonrit: Eocene to Pliocene multi-continental mix Tarien: Cretaceous mix
Umathela & Slon: Triassic and Jurassic mix Hornilio & Porlaso: Funky Palaeozoic mix

With all the same provisos as before, of course. Although I might muck about a bit with Slon and Tarien/Wongarissi (different mesozoic subcontinents, perhaps), so as to differentiate them. Oh, and Teleos: Madagascar, East Isles: Polynesia.

All of which supports the contention that the potato is Pelorian. :-)

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic