Potatoes in Glorantha

From: Dag Stålhandske <dag.staalhandske_at_vastervik.mail.telia.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 19:37:31 +0100

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C1CDEB.2E1AC700 Content-Type: text/plain;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

Searching the web with Google and the keywords Glorantha and potato I = come up with two answers that I find particularly interesting. On Jane's = page

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/jareel.htm

I find this text:

"Aelwrin's plunder of the holy Frantic Ground and the rape of the = dowager Priest-Mother brought Jareel into combat, followed swiftly by = the defeat of the rebels. Captured again, Aelwrin tried to kill himself = rather than peel another potato for the Empire."

She says that is from White Bear Red Moon (which I do not own). I = suppose we can conclude that the Lunar Empire has access to potatoes.

On the page

http://www.csc.tcd.ie/~gamers/andrew/game/glorantha/arir/honeel.html

it says:

Nevertheless the cult has played a subtle but significant role in the = expansion of the empire. Phargentes, a Lunar king of Tarsh, described = this role succinctly with his epithet: "Give a man potato bread and = onions, and he'll be ours for a day. Teach h im to plant maize and he'll = by ours forever."

Apparently, Andrew, the author of this home page believes that Tarshites = have access to potatoes.

The home page gives us a long source list:

a.. "The Cult of Hon-eel the Artess" is an unashamedly derivative work. = I am deeply indebted to the following sources for the material presented = in this essay.=20
b.. "Cults of the Lunar Empire" by Steve Maurer.=20 c.. "The History of the Lunar Empire - The Fifth Wane" by Greg Stafford. =

d.. "The Cult of the Seven Mothers" in "Cults of Prax" by Greg Stafford = and Steve Perrin.=20
e.. "The Fortunate Succesion" by Greg Stafford.=20 f.. "The Composite History of Dragon Pass" in "King of Sartar" by Greg = Stafford.=20
g.. "Cults Prospedia" in "Gods of Glorantha" by Greg Stafford, Sandy = Petersen, Steve Perrin and Charlie Krank.=20

h.. "Hon-eel the Artess" in "Wyrms Footprints" by Greg Stafford.=20 i.. "The Cult of Ernalda" in "Introduction to Glorantha" by Greg = Stafford, Sandy Petersen and Lynn Willis.=20 j.. "The Cult of Dorasta" in "Dorastor - the Land of Doom" by Greg = Stafford, Sandy Petersen, Troy Bankert and Oliver Jovanovic.=20 k.. "Hop Wars" by David Hall in "Tales of the Reaching Moon #2"=20

I have not managed to find the word potato/potatoes in any of the home = pages mentioned in the source list. Nor have I found it in Wyrms = Footprints. Therefore I must assume that this Phargentes-quote is the = invention of Andrew (the author of the home page) himself. If someone = knows something else, please inform me and the rest of this mailing = list.

Dag St=E5lhandske

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C1CDEB.2E1AC700 Content-Type: text/html;

        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Searching the web with Google and the =
keywords=20
Glorantha and potato I come up with two answers that I find particularly =

interesting. On Jane's page</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20

href=3D"http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/jareel.htm">htt= p://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/jareel.htm</A></FONT></DIV= >
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I find this text:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Aelwrin's plunder of the holy Frantic =
Ground and=20
the rape of the dowager Priest-Mother brought Jareel into combat, = followed=20
swiftly by the defeat of the rebels. Captured again, Aelwrin tried to = kill=20
himself rather than peel another potato for the Empire."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>She says that is from White Bear Red =
Moon (which I=20
do not own). I suppose we can conclude that the Lunar Empire has access = to=20
potatoes.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>On the page</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20

href=3D"http://www.csc.tcd.ie/~gamers/andrew/game/glorantha/arir/honeel.h= tml">http://www.csc.tcd.ie/~gamers/andrew/game/glorantha/arir/honeel.html=
</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>it says:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P>Nevertheless the cult has played a subtle but significant role in the =

expansion of the empire. Phargentes, a Lunar king of Tarsh, described = this role=20
succinctly with his epithet: "Give a man potato bread and onions, and = he'll be=20
ours for a day. Teach h im to plant maize and he'll by ours = forever."</P>
<P>Apparently, Andrew, the author of this home page believes that =
Tarshites have=20
access to potatoes.</P>
<P>The home page gives us a long source list:</P>
<LI><EM>"The Cult of Hon-eel the Artess"</EM> is an unashamedly =
derivative work.=20
I am deeply indebted to the following sources for the material presented = in this=20
essay.=20
<LI><EM>"Cults of the Lunar Empire"</EM> by Steve Maurer.=20
<LI><EM><A =

href=3D"http://www.glorantha.com/library/history/hle-5wane.html">"The=20 History of the Lunar Empire &#8211; The Fifth Wane"</A></EM> by Greg = Stafford.=20
<LI><EM><A=20

href=3D"http://www.glorantha.com/library/religions/cult-7mothers.html">"T= he Cult=20
of the Seven Mothers"</A></EM> in <EM>"Cults of Prax"</EM> by Greg = Stafford and=20
Steve Perrin.=20
<LI><EM>"The Fortunate Succesion"</EM> by Greg Stafford.=20
<LI><EM>"The Composite History of Dragon Pass"</EM> in <EM>"King of =
Sartar"</EM>=20
by Greg Stafford.=20
<LI><EM>"Cults Prospedia"</EM> in <EM>"Gods of Glorantha"</EM> by Greg =
Stafford,=20
Sandy Petersen, Steve Perrin and Charlie Krank. </LI></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<LI><EM>"Hon-eel the Artess"</EM> in <EM>"Wyrms Footprints"</EM> by Greg =

Stafford.=20
<LI><EM><A=20

href=3D"http://www.glorantha.com/library/religions/cult-ernalda.html">"Th= e Cult of=20
Ernalda"</A></EM> in <EM>"Introduction to Glorantha"</EM> by Greg = Stafford,=20
Sandy Petersen and Lynn Willis.=20
<LI><EM>"The Cult of Dorasta"</EM> in <EM>"Dorastor - the Land of =
Doom"</EM> by=20
Greg Stafford, Sandy Petersen, Troy Bankert and Oliver Jovanovic.=20
<LI><EM><A href=3D"http://www.tang.demon.co.uk/TOTRM/hopwars.html">"Hop=20
Wars"</A></EM> by David Hall in <EM>"Tales of the Reaching Moon #2"</EM> =

</LI></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have not managed to find the word potato/potatoes in any of the =
home=20
pages mentioned in the source list.&nbsp; Nor have I found it in Wyrms=20 Footprints. Therefore I must assume that this Phargentes-quote is the = invention=20
of Andrew (the author of the home page) himself. If someone knows = something=20
else, please inform me and the rest of this mailing list.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dag St=E5lhandske</FONT></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C1CDEB.2E1AC700--