Corn and spuds for tea?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 02:35:46 GMT

Having just been royally thrashed at "Pit", I might have maize and cereals on the brain, but...

Pete McAveney:
> Who is the potato goddess, btw? Asrelia?

Sounds about right to me: a "benevolent underworld" sort of thing. Or at least an Asrelia connection to whatever the specific godling is. As a result a similar connection for the Dara Happans seems perfectly reasonable (it wouldn't be Evil Spuds From the 5th Hell -- at least to anyone other than Pam Carlson's crazed Dayzatari...).

Peter Larsen:
> But maize in Glorantha came from the Kingdom of Ignorance
> originally. HonEel's trick was getting it to grow in Peloria.

AFAICS the main trick was getting there, getting the maize, and getting back in one piece -- maize grows much _better_ in Peloria than it ever did in the Kingdom of Ignorance, without any essentially different or extra fertility magic per se. (This is a bit of a tangent, I know.)

> That's a good reason, although I imagine that getting water to
> crops is not a huge problem for the rain-calling Orlanthi.

Sounds a bit over-engineered to me. You're going to make the entirity of Fire Season cloudy and rainy to get you more and better spuds, to the detriment of getting the barley and wheat ripened? (Vegetable- -sized rainclouds also seem a tad fussy, if not comic book.)

> Anybody know anything about beans? Are pintos cooked in
> Calandraland? Marrow beans in the West? Soy beans must be grown in
> Kralorela, along with red and yellow beans> Who's got tomatoes (That seems
> like a Kingdom of Ignorance thing to me)?

Beans a-go-go. Though Sandy once expressed the view that Kralorela ought to be bordering on being a rice monoculture, so as to have lots of malnourished (as opposed to the elsewhere-popular _under_nourished) peasants through amino acid difficiences. (Whereas with rice and pulses together you're pretty much set.) He's a cruel man, but fair.

Relatedly, the lentil and rice curry is obviously well known for being a Seleric import from Peloria to Kralorela, and equally well known for being a Kralori import to Dara Happa. (See chicken tikkas, ibid.)

End of Glorantha Digest